SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Grip screw question (?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grip screw question (?) Login/Join 
posted
I recently picked up an older P229 in 40 cal apparently made in the late 90's according to SN. It came with the new two piece grips that are flat black. The screws on the grips were tight and the mags inserted and fell freely. I didn't like the looks of the new style grips so I installed a pair of the old style two piece grips which appear to be the same except for the dark gray color that is more durable. The replacement grips were dated 2002. When I installed the replacement grips, the same screws went into the magwell far enough to keep the mags from inserting. I could back off on the screws to make them work but I decided to put O-rings in them so I could tighten them properly. This seems to work well. My question is did the older guns use washers or O-rings?

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Early P229s in 357/40 have a thinner grip frame because of the wider magazine, so shorter Torx screws were used. You may actually have 9mm length screws. No washers or o-rings were used.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dunno about the history. But my 1996 P229 DA/SA .40 (bought new) has no spacers or rings. Just the slotted screw.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Early P229s in 357/40 have a thinner grip frame because of the wider magazine, so shorter Torx screws were used. You may actually have 9mm length screws. No washers or o-rings were used.

Actually, they came with slotted screws. I changed mine out for hex socket screws. The ones I used were from TJ's Custom Gunsmithing. They are relatively expensive since TJ overcharges for them like everything else he sells or does. I think I bought them from Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/hand...crews-prod13123.aspx

Here's some from Hogue that are cheaper. If I remember correctly, the Hogue screws would rust where TJ's wouldn't.

https://www.brownells.com/hand...screws-prod6923.aspx

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

Actually, they came with slotted screws. I changed mine out for hex socket screws. The ones I used were from TJ's Custom Gunsmithing. They are relatively expensive since TJ overcharges for them like everything else he sells or does. I think I bought them from Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/hand...crews-prod13123.aspx[/url

Here's some from Hogue that are cheaper. If I remember correctly, the Hogue screws would rust where TJ's wouldn't.

[url=https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grip-screws/semi-auto-grip-screws-prod6923.aspx]https://www.brownells.com/hand...screws-prod6923.aspx

I have gone with Hogue on my Sigs with exception of the P220s. Hogue are purportedly harder and more durable than they used to be. Have never had any rust. I like the hogues have a variety of grips some plastic some aluminum some g10 and Hogues work with all of them.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
No washers or o-rings originally.

You can get the correct P229 screws from Top Gun Supply.

Short P229 grip screws

Keep in mind that these screws have a concave slot and the SIG armorer’s tool (or just the slotted bit) is the best way to remove and install these screws.

Armorer’s tool

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The U.S. Secret Service made a specific point of cautioning their agents not to use the long screws on their grip plates of their issued P229 in the preventative maintenance guide.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post