SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Had some light primer strikes today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had some light primer strikes today. Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted
I grabbed a lightly used P220R Carry yesterday and threw on some E2 grips I had laying around. I remember reading something about the E2 grips requiring a newer hammer strut and seat, but figured the P220R Carry was newer than the parts that needed replaced on the old P220s. I was shooting 230gr Blazer Brass today and only had two light strikes out of about 100 rds. and I could not get them to fire with multiple attempts. So maybe they were duds, though my Dan Wesson Valor made them go bang. Anyway, I don't need the whole E2 grip kit, just the hammer strut and seat. Which parts to buy and where? Do these have parts numbers like car parts? Or date codes? How to specify which version I need to make sure nothing is binding on these E2 grips?

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.realgunreviews.com...inspring-assemblies/
Good reference to see what you have.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BT2012
posted Hide Post
The link JDG provided has good information about the various mainsprings, mainspring seats and struts. IMO, Sig is not very good at differentiating the parts and they go by what is shown on the schematics, at least that is my experience with the P226.

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll see if I can find just the E2 assembly for sale.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
While on endless hold with SIG, I found an E2 hammer strut and seat laying around in my SIG parts bin. Just installed. All good now. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
After Sig switched to the "New Style" hammer strut/plastic base assembly (from the "Old Style long metal), there were no issues retro-fitting.

Then they came along with the E2 grip. It required a different hammer strut/plastic base assembly. The issue was the back strap clearance with the smaller, differently contoured E2 grip. Hence, the non-E2 specific assembly works only with flat grip panels and the E2-specific works with both E2 and flat panels.

I long for the old days when I first bought my P229 .40 in 1995. While this may be the price of progress, it's gotten very confusing since. I'd hate to be a first time Sig owner trying to make sense of all the variations with internals.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post