SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    LCI BROKE ON P229-GUN JAMMED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCI BROKE ON P229-GUN JAMMED Login/Join 
posted
Today my P229 Enhanced Elite jammed and I couldn't clear it with the usual Tap and Rack. A piece of the LCI broke off and apparently jammed the weapon. I took the magazine out, and when I reinserted it the gun went back into battery and it worked fine for the rest of the day (although the LCI wouldn't pop up).

Anyone else have this issue? Thank you

Posts: 2 | Location: yes | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

What’s an “LCI”?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s an “LCI”?

Loaded chamber indicator.

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Sigs had those

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Welcome to the forum.

What’s an “LCI”?

Thanks for the welcome.

Posts: 2 | Location: yes | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
OP you must be in California. Sig did an absolutely terrible job with the LCI to make the pistol CA compliant. Do yourself a favor and drive the pin out that holds the LCI in. It is just a simple roll pin. The reason why it won't pop back up is because it moved or something else moved the return spring out of the recess.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't know Sigs had those

They are special runs made too order. It rarely works well. One of the reasons the NHSP P220's had issues is due to all of the special requirements placed on the bid. In the end it didn't work and they went with the M&P.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m curious about the California requirement. Is a hole in the top of the barrel hood extension to see if a round is chambered not sufficient?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m curious about the California requirement. Is a hole in the top of the barrel hood extension to see if a round is chambered not sufficient?

Unfortunately the overlords of the state of California have determined that brass showing is nowhere near enough. I'm on mobile so I can't post any pictures but there is a huge LOADED WHEN UP billboard on the top of the slide.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I've seen the indicator that sticks up, but wasn't sure what the California requirements were.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Both my 2022s have LCIs. Mine work fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, welcome to the forum.

If you are in CA, MA or another location with state government mandated requirements, you may want to either put the state (CA, MA, etc.) in your profile Location or mention it when referencing an issue in a post.

This forum is one of the best. There are a lot of members willing to provide knowledgeable responses to member posts. The more info provided, the better and faster the responses.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Not my photo)

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope, neither is the extractor which sticks out a bit when a round is chambered. The geniuses in Sacramento apparently don’t roll with the “Treat all guns as if they are loaded.” and “Know the condition of your firearm.” approaches either.

Those kids cannot possibly graduate from High School and head off to college or life (as they choose) soon enough...

Posts: 6867 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen the indicator that sticks up, but wasn't sure what the California requirements were.

Currently, to add a new model pistol (or an existing model that has any significant modifications, i.e. M&P 2.0), the model must have a raised Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) as pictured above, a magazine disconnect safety (so the gun won’t fire without a magazine inserted), must implement micro stamping of the fired cartridges per the spec (I believe it is a unique to the specific pistol mark on the fired casing in at least two places. I *think* that the firing pin won’t cut it.). There may be additional requirements for what the pistol has to have, but I don’t know of them. Once the manufacturer comes up with such a pistol which has all the warts required to be eligible to be added to the CA roster of not unsafe handguns (or whatever they actually call it), the manufacturer must then send two production copies of said pistol to a CA certified lab for testing. The pistols must fire 2,500 rounds without any malfunctions that are not ammunition related, then must pass some number of drop tests (really stretching here, but I think it is from 4’ onto a concrete floor) with primed casings chambered. If the pistol gets through all that, then the manufacturer can pay the state $5,000 per year to include the pistol on the roster.

As long as a manufacturer continues to pay the $5,000 per year for a pistol that was accepted onto the roster, it can stay on, even through it may not have all the warts that have been added to the requirement list once it was added. This is why gen 3 Glocks are on the roster and are available in CA to non-LEOs (LEOs are exempt from the roster and can buy whatever they want) and gen 4 and gen 5 are not and likely never will be.

The roster is just another attempt by the GDCs to prevent CA residents from exercising their 2A rights.

ETA: Cosmetic differences are enough to create another model, requiring another couple of pistols for testing and another $5,000 per year in fees to the state. Ie, a p229r BSS (black) and a p229r two tone are two different models. Likewise a different caliber is a different model and requires another round of testing and another fee to the state. For instance, the SP2022 in .40 S&W and the SP2022 in 9mm are two different entries. In one small bright spot, they determined that having contrast sight vs night sights does not create a new model.

Posts: 6867 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Currently, to add a new model pistol (or an existing model that has any significant modifications, i.e. M&P 2.0), the model must have a raised Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) as pictured above, a magazine disconnect safety (so the gun won’t fire without a magazine inserted), must implement micro stamping of the fired cartridges per the spec (I believe it is a unique to the specific pistol mark on the fired casing in at least two places. I *think* that the firing pin won’t cut it.). There may be additional requirements for what the pistol has to have, but I don’t know of them. Once the manufacturer comes up with such a pistol which has all the warts required to be eligible to be added to the CA roster of not unsafe handguns (or whatever they actually call it), the manufacturer must then send two production copies of said pistol to a CA certified lab for testing. The pistols must fire 2,500 rounds without any malfunctions that are not ammunition related, then must pass some number of drop tests (really stretching here, but I think it is from 4’ onto a concrete floor) with primed casings chambered. If the pistol gets through all that, then the manufacturer can pay the state $5,000 per year to include the pistol on the roster.

As long as a manufacturer continues to pay the $5,000 per year for a pistol that was accepted onto the roster, it can stay on, even through it may not have all the warts that have been added to the requirement list once it was added. This is why gen 3 Glocks are on the roster and are available in CA to non-LEOs (LEOs are exempt from the roster and can buy whatever they want) and gen 4 and gen 5 are not and likely never will be.

The roster is just another attempt by the GDCs to prevent CA residents from exercising their 2A rights.

ETA: Cosmetic differences are enough to create another model, requiring another couple of pistols for testing and another $5,000 per year in fees to the state. Ie, a p229r BSS (black) and a p229r two tone are two different models. Likewise a different caliber is a different model and requires another round of testing and another fee to the state. For instance, the SP2022 in .40 S&W and the SP2022 in 9mm are two different entries. In one small bright spot, they determined that having contrast sight vs night sights does not create a new model.

Slogsig, thanks for taking the time to post this explanation of the CA Gun Roster process. I knew that it involved stringent testing of individual models, to the point of being excessive, and I also knew that it involved some serious outlay of cash by gun mfrs. to have their guns placed on the roster. But to read the actual requirements just has me shaking my head and wondering how a government can actually justify such overbearing restrictions and just how long gun mfrs. will continue to go through this amount of hassle to sell their products.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post