SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Think I destroyed my P6 slide
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think I destroyed my P6 slide Login/Join 
Picture of fav567
posted
I changed out my sights on my p6 slide using a universal sight tool. Long story short i tightened the slide and now it doesn't move freely on the frame. It goes on about halfway and gets stuck. Is there any way to open the slide ? Or is it ruined beyond repair?

Sig Sauer P220, Sig Sauer P228, Sig Sauer P229 .40 w/.357, Beretta 92 Brigadeer 9mm, Glock 22, Glock 27.

Posts: 113 | Location: L.A. California | Registered: August 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's folded carbon and can take a little abuse.

Yes, it can be "regapped", but I think you might seek service of someone who can do so along the entire length of both sides of the slide.

Maybe a local machine shop?

LA used to be flush with them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 34650 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any way to open the slide ?

It's time to get creative. Years ago I did something similar with a 1911 grip frame.

First of all, you should know where the tool was positioned and caused the squeeze. And you can see where the slide starts to bind on the frame.

Go to the hardware store and get parts similar to the photo and you may be able to spread the slide open enough. For this photo I used two 1/4x20 bolts and a 1/4x20 T-nut which has longer threads than a regular nut. You will have to experiment to get the bolt lengths right. Place the parts between the slide rails and start unscrewing. Go slow with lots a trials. It should work. Good luck.

Posts: 10537 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
Thank you GaryBF!!! Gonna try this.

Sig Sauer P220, Sig Sauer P228, Sig Sauer P229 .40 w/.357, Beretta 92 Brigadeer 9mm, Glock 22, Glock 27.

Posts: 113 | Location: L.A. California | Registered: August 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with a P225 slide. A local gunsmith fixed it for me for $20.

You would never know.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3809 | Location: Pikeville, NC | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pruned from the Tree
posted Hide Post
Scary...I have used the same tool for about 6 pistols and never had this issue. Maybe, I just got lucky. If anyone has ever changed out M&P front sights, you know how tight they are. I has to use a lot of force to remove and add the front sight, but did not notice any issues after. Is there something in particular to look out for?

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
I've used the sight tool on guns with stainless steel slides without issues. I believe it's because the P6 has a stamped steel slide and is "softer" material

Picture of Nipper
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Did you clamp the slide in a vise before using the sight tool?

If so, was the slide tightened by the vise or the tool?

Posts: 3562 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Just curious. Did you clamp the slide in a vise before using the sight tool?

If so, was the slide tightened by the vise or the tool?

+1. I find it unlikely that a sight tool would cause this problem as it clamps the slide at a spot where it is quite strong and able to resist pressure. A vice is another matter entirely. If all else fails, you can disassemble slide and frame, add a little valve grinding compound to the rails and
lap in the slide to frame fit.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
I did not clamp the slide into a vise. I only used the sight tool. The sights were on really tight and I noticed that I had to torque on the handle more than usual. I should have stopped there.

I tried GaryBF's method and it opened it up a little and slide goes on now but not as smooth. I ordered a brake disc spreader tool from eBay and going to see it that works.

Picture of Nipper
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Well, I hope you are able to straighten it out. Good luck.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the slide/frame fit almost where you want it, then just lap the two together to get the ideal slide/frame interface. No biggy!!

Posts: 3394 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
will the lapping compound ruin the aluminum frame? I know you can lap stainless steel slides and frames. wasn't sure about the aluminum frame on a P6.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I would not do it. YMMV. Wait for your new tool or use my rig again.

Posts: 10537 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
All GOOD!!! used the disc brake compression tool from ebay and was able to open up the slide.

Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help

fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fav567:
will the lapping compound ruin the aluminum frame? I know you can lap stainless steel slides and frames. wasn't sure about the aluminum frame on a P6.

It might. Alluminum is really only as durable as the surface treatment. Anything you do to abrade it will shorten the lifespan of the part. Glad to see you fixed the issue without resorting to abrasives.

Posts: 4954 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post

Picture of fav567
posted Hide Post
Yes thats the exact same tool i used. $20 from ebay. I posted a picture of it but it didnt show on the forum.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted a picture of it but it didnt show on the forum.

Umm, that is your picture.