SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Caliber conversion for a Compact P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber conversion for a Compact P320 Login/Join 
posted
Was curious after watching a you tube video of someone changing caliber size on a compact P320 by just changing the barrel. My question is if this is actually safe? He showed in a video shooting the pistol after the change but I'm skeptical. He did change the barrel to a different caliber and everything else was left as it was. Will different barrel calibers use the same slide ?

Thanks for for helping a Sig newbie out.

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
40 S&W and 357 SIG usually interchange with only a barrel swap. What did the YouTube poster do?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes sense as he was changing from a S&W 40 to a 357. I currently have a 9mm and was hoping to change to 357 or a S&W 40. Maybe in the future Sig can make it all we had to do was change the barrel. Thank you for your help.

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I currently have a 9mm and was hoping to change to 357 or a S&W 40.

That is not possible without getting a new slide because the 9mm breech face is smaller than the 357/40. Further, you can feed 9mm amunition from a 357/40 magazine but not the opposite. On some SIGs the larger magazines will not even fit in the frame.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironhead3:
That makes sense as he was changing from a S&W 40 to a 357. I currently have a 9mm and was hoping to change to 357 or a S&W 40. Maybe in the future Sig can make it all we had to do was change the barrel. Thank you for your help.

You can do that, but not with just a barrel swap. You need to get a conversion kit, which includes a new slide.

Bar-Sto does make conversion barrels that will allow 9 mm in a 357/40 slide.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post