SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig 229R will not load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 229R will not load Login/Join 
posted
My new to me 229R in 9mm was built in 2016. It will not load reliably any type of ammo I've tried. The bullet nose dives on the ramp and I have to pull it up with a paper clip while dumping the mag in order to clear it. It does this with both of the 15 rd mags that came with it and with all types of ammo from HP to FMJ. It seems to be worse on a full mag but will hesitate through all 15 rounds when dry cycling. It does it when I slingshot or when I use the slide release to load. This is the first time I've ever had a Sig do this. Thoughts?

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Factory (Mec-Gar) magazines?
If so, the first thing I would do is disassemble the magazines and ensure they are assembled correctly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Factory (Mec-Gar) magazines?
If so, the first thing I would do is disassemble the magazines and ensure they are assembled correctly.

Yes, factory mags. I've already taken them apart and cleaned them and reassembled (properly) and still have the same problem.

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Can you take a picture or the mags and post them here?

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Can you take a picture or the mags and post them here?

Too late. I ended up shipping back to Sig. After looking all over the internet without much luck, I called Sig CS and the guy walked me through all the symptoms and he concluded that it was something in the gun. For $55 Sig sent me a shipping label and I got a FedEx home pickup on a Friday afternoon.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Please post an update when you get it back. Smile

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Please post an update when you get it back. Smile

will do

posted Hide Post
Tagged. Want to see what happened.

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my 229R back yesterday (less than two weeks in the shop) and it now works like a charm. Work order says they polished the feed ramp, lubed the gun, and test fired. I do recall that when it was nosediving, the feed ramp was blued. I had polished it some with Flitz but it did not remove the bluing. I had also oiled the feed area. The factory tech polished it down to white metal so that must have made the difference.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've never heard anyone "oil the feed area".

Some guns work just fine with a factory finish on the feed ramp (ammo dependent) and others work best being polished. I've experienced both situations. Glad you got it fixed.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Before the factory work, the feed ramp was blued but not shiny or slick; almost a flat dull finish. Even after I used the Flitz on it it still wasn't slick like I'm used to seeing so I put a few drops of oil on it to see if that helped. It didn't. That's when I gave up and called Sig for help. I wouldn't normally oil that area either.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Before the factory work, the feed ramp was blued but not shiny or slick; almost a flat dull finish. Even after I used the Flitz on it it still wasn't slick like I'm used to seeing so I put a few drops of oil on it to see if that helped. It didn't. That's when I gave up and called Sig for help. I wouldn't normally oil that area either.

glad it works I was watching for the result.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with a Walther. Took some 600 grit sandpaper, cut it into a 5/5" square and used the eraser end of a pencil to polish the ramp.. Worked great.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that SIG took care of you. Failures to chamber can be difficult to fix and sometimes we hear here of continuing frustration even after the gun is serviced.

It’s also good that you tried to diagnose and fix the problem yourself, but as a general comment, oiling the chamber ramp should not ever be necessary. Even if it helps, it’s going to stop helping after a few shots because the oil will be gone by then. Also it’s a general rule that ammunition should never be oiled.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post