SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Ruger American Compact ramp & polishing

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Compact ramp & polishing Login/Join 
posted
When received "new" the barrel was dirty and the barrel ramp encrusted with powder residue. Vendor says Ruger did it - I suspect someone was picking barrels and failed to clean. Big advantage to having s/n on barrels.
However, the 8635 model is about right to use in IDPA BUG match. Clean, it shot well at match. After about 50 rounds, hits were away from call. After match, I confirmed that the ramp becomes encrusted and that accuracy dirty is significantly worse than when clean.
Polishing of the ramp seems called for - other ideas?
I am not a fan of using a motor driven device to polish. Detailed ideas please of exactly what to use arm-strong to polish ramp. Often people speak/write about polishing, but do not provide sufficient details that I can use.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 232 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not following on how polishing the feed ramp (or not) would have any affect accuracy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GP229,

Posts: 1119 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point. The encrusting of the ramp with powder residue suggests that the surface of the barrel ramp is rough. The encrusting may damage bullets on their way into the barrel. A polished ramp might not get so filthy so quickly.

I am keen on learning what tends to reduce accuracy when only about 50 rounds are fired.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 232 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Polishing the feed ramp helps more reliable feeding, especially with blunt nosed jhp. Ball fmj ammo shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Don't go nuts with a DREMEL if you DIY. Fine (600 or 1000 grit) black oxide sandpaper around a finger tip or pencil works so you're not removing metal or altering the contours. Then polish with a fine metal polish. Once it's done you shouldn't have to do anything but clean with solvent.

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7466 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks "az" You have helped. I have a DREMEL device and find it the least useful tool that I have. No way would I use it anywhere near a firearm.

I know where to get 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper and wrapping under finger sounds ideal. I looked at "polishing" substances in a Home Depot - seemed intended to enhance polishing of car's paint.

What might "fine metal polish" be sold as? Or what might it be found near in a big-box hardware? Brands to avoid? I will use the terms in a search.

On the point of feed ramp and accuracy: the 8635 Ruger never failed to digest, fire, and eject a round - even when dirty. When ramp becomes encrusted, the remainder of the pistol has no significant residue.

Thanks. Mac

Mac in Michigan

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
Picture of KMitch200
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Thanks "az" You have helped. I have a DREMEL device and find it the least useful tool that I have. No way would I use it anywhere near a firearm.

You don't need to use the really abrasive parts of a dremel kit to have something useful.
A felt polishing bob or muslin wheel and some Flitz or aluminum wheel polish may get you where you want to be.

I'm still wondering why a pistol would lose accuracy after only 50 rnds.
If after you have done some REALLY intensive accuracy testing - *not a match* - I'd like to know the cause. I'm not buying that it's the feedramp causing it. If it still fires and ejects, the feedramp isn't going to do dick to accuracy.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 1976 | Location: AZ - West side of the valley | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a DREMEL device and find it the least useful tool that I have. No way would I use it anywhere near a firearm.

You are wise beyond your years!

I have a friend that insisted on "polishing" the feed ramp on his 1911 with a Dremel, even though he was having no feed issues, and ruined it. It barely feeds anything now.

posted Hide Post
Thanks GP229.

I too am at a loss about the actual cause of drop in accuracy after something like 50 rounds. The barrel ramp getting encrusted does suggest undesirable roughness, but connection to accuracy is - as several have indicated - not clear.

Indeed, I should go to indoor range and perform a careful test starting with a clean pistol and ten rounds at a time. However, the 8635 seems to me to have little utility beyond being an IDPA BUG gun, so it will take time for that task to move up the to-do list.

The big brother 8605 with 4.2 inch barrel is much more easy to rack and has exhibited good accuracy. The division where we shoot only goes to 4.1 inch barrels (VP9, FNS9C, G19, PPQ-M2 4"and the Gray P320C9 that I shoot).

Metal polish: "Brasso" is mentioned, but many say that the new Brasso in plastic container is too weak -- KMitch200 mentions Flitz. Any other suggestions?

Mac in Michigan

posted Hide Post
I've had occasions when my shooting got a bit sloppier as the day goes on.

Have you tried starting with a clean gun and then shooting it until the accuracy diminishes and then stopping. Then on the next range visit start with the dirty gun and see what happens.

Just a suggestion.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know where to get 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper and wrapping under finger sounds ideal. I looked at "polishing" substances in a Home Depot - seemed intended to enhance polishing of car's paint.

What might "fine metal polish" be sold as? Or what might it be found near in a big-box hardware? Brands to avoid? I will use the terms in a search.

On the point of feed ramp and accuracy: the 8635 Ruger never failed to digest, fire, and eject a round - even when dirty. When ramp becomes encrusted, the remainder of the pistol has no significant residue.

Thanks. Mac

You want a cream polish, not liquid or cotton wadding product.

SIMICHROME, FLITZ and BLUE MAGIC are all good metal polishes. A 100ml tube will last a lifetime of polishing feed ramps. I do a lot of automotive metal polishing so I have tubs of WENOL. It's more commonly available in 100ml red or blue tubes (depending on what you're polishing). AUTOZONE, O'REILLY'S, PEPBOYS, motorcycle shops or online sources will stock metal polishes.

http://wenol.com/

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7466 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP229 has a reasonable procedure. I will have a go. But Winter is arriving and it may be a while.

. . . and in the fullnes of time, I might find that - as one would expect - I am at fault.

AZ: thanks for actual, usable advice. I will purchase one of the polishes. No doubt one small container will last a lifetime.

Mac in Michigan

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:

Thanks. Mac

You want a cream polish, not liquid or cotton wadding product.

SIMICHROME, FLITZ and BLUE MAGIC are all good metal polishes. A 100ml tube will last a lifetime of polishing feed ramps. I do a lot of automotive metal polishing so I have tubs of WENOL. It's more commonly available in 100ml red or blue tubes (depending on what you're polishing). AUTOZONE, O'REILLY'S, PEPBOYS, motorcycle shops or online sources will stock metal polishes.

http://wenol.com/

The above - I've found Mothers to put the slickest surface on a feed ramp. Using a Dremel is the fastest way to change the angle on a feed ramp, and a custom 1911 will take a very dim view of this, with varying degrees of dissatisfaction from other firearms....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 1496 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. No way will I have a Dremel tool, or the like, near a firearm.
A local competitor indicated to me that he found 800 grit paper and finger-work to be able to polish ramps and the like. I am inclined to go for 1000 grit and more time/effort.
As it is, the Ruger Americans (Full and Compact) have been cleaned (more effort required than with other pistols) and put away while more important projects take over. The "Americans" may have a role as a lower cost, American made, military-grade set of pistols.

I note a vote for "Mothers" as a final polish.

Mac in Michigan

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
You're on track - 1,000 g oiled emery paper followed by Flitz and Mothers for a final shine is my go-to for polishing critical metal surfaces - by hand. Many of my rabid 1911 buddies cringe at the thought of ever touching the feed ramp with any abrasive, but I've found it can improve function and at a minimum make it easier to clean. Just be sure to use a light touch (and even more caution with an alloy frame ramp), and don't try to eliminate all tool marks and imperfections, or get to a mirror finish. Just enough to reduce surface friction and let the cartridge feed smoothly out of the mag without any catches. An occasional touch-up with Mothers doesn't hurt in the cleaning cycle either, particularly if you use diesel-fueled reloads with heavy carbon or unjacketed rounds.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 1496 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post