SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Pin punch sizes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pin punch sizes Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I am putting a toolkit together to work on Sig P series, and would like to spend $4/punch rather than $25/punch for the Sig punches.

The Sig armorer's toolkit includes a 1/16" punch, 1/8" punch, and 3mm starter and 3mm finish (cupped) punches.

My question is, can I use 1/8" cupped punches rather than 3mm? I know it's slightly larger, but will it fit with the tolerances?

I'm interested in using USA-made punches, and it's easier to find them in standard sizes vs metric.

Thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by San Francisco, 1911:
My question is, can I use 1/8" cupped punches rather than 3mm? I know it's slightly larger, but will it fit with the tolerances?

No

Unless you have a way to reduce it's diameter to slightly under 3mm.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has long and short 3mm cup-tip punches for $13/ea.

https://shop.brownells.com/gun...c5SfWVQaAizdEALw_wcB

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the prompt replies. Based on the review of the Brownell's cup punch, I'll buy the Sig one .. but for the rest I'm going with Grace. Thx!

Posts: 29 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Don’t bother trying to get a pin punch for the FPPP. It needs a press.

photo is PROPERTY of GaryBF

Unless you want to damage your slide and cuss a lot.

Here is a pic of various types of pins used in the slide:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
added a couple pics.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post