SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Which firing pin retaining pin for my folded slide West German 226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which firing pin retaining pin for my folded slide West German 226 Login/Join 
Banned
posted
So I have had this 226 for awhile and two firing pin retaining pins have broken, interesting in and of itself and quite evident when it happens and no I am not trying to make major power factor in a 9mm. I have replaced each time with the inner and outer pin set up. The latest set seems to want to back out though not enough to really effect the function. Before I buy another 226 slide I thought about the one piece knurled on one end variant and I guess there is a third choice not readily available. The solid ones are supposed to be a bear to remove and made for the stainless slides not the carbon steel ones but What can it hurt? The spare parts kits come with the two variants and the inner and outer style pins are getting harder to find. Any advice or cautions appreciated. Outer pin open at 12 o’clock and inner the reverse. thanks

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
"I am not a Sig armorer."But a well respected sigsmith ( Gerry R @ total automation ) said all he uses now is the new spiral type. I know that there is two different ones, for long or short extractor. But if want to try a solid pin, I have one you can have just send me e-mail and I'll send it. And pretty sure spiral for long extractor Pin-11 will fit.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have the newer style solid one knurled on the end and also some of the inner and outer pins. Looking on Brownells there is an old style that has the knurled end and a lengthwise channel. I should look for one of those in my parts bin. Can order if needed. This slide has internal extractor.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Not sure if have Pin 11 but will look especially if that is what your buddy recommends. MGW has them and I suspect TGS does as well.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to not try to reinvent the wheel. Use the dual roll pins that your gun was designed for. They shouldn't be breaking very often unless you do a lot of dry firing without use of a snap cap.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
My suggestion is to not try to reinvent the wheel. Use the dual roll pins that your gun was designed for. They shouldn't be breaking very often unless you do a lot of dry firing without use of a snap cap.

no dry firing at all This is a 25 year old plus gun

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
You won’t be able to use the solid pin to my knowledge on an older folded slide. Best bet is the nested pins and keep spares on hand.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
And for dry firing I use an orange foam ear plug cut in half cross wise. Fits on firing pin and allows racking slide.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
You won’t be able to use the solid pin to my knowledge on an older folded slide. Best bet is the nested pins and keep spares on hand.

Likely true I do have some spares went through my sig parts bins. Counting barrels and mags and such looks like I have TGS to the tune of >2k dollars. After leaving the mortal coil someone may wonder why did he have all these gun parts, or not

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Likely true I do have some spares went through my sig parts bins. Counting barrels and mags and such looks like I have supported TGS to the tune of >2k dollars. After leaving the mortal coil someone may wonder why did he have all these gun parts, or not

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
"I am not a Sig armorer."But a well respected sigsmith ( Gerry R @ total automation ) said all he uses now is the new spiral type. I know that there is two different ones, for long or short extractor. But if want to try a solid pin, I have one you can have just send me e-mail and I'll send it. And pretty sure spiral for long extractor Pin-11 will fit.

Will try this have some arriving tomorrow, but may just use an xcuse to get a new slide

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:

Will try this have some arriving tomorrow, but may just use an xcuse to get a new slide

Now have P11 and P12 and I suspect P12 may work better long but will wain until I need to make a switch.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Did you get your slide fixed?

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you get your slide fixed?

Waiting to see if the current pin walks out again. That is the two piece outer and inner pin. If it does I’ll knock it out completely. Then maybe try a P12 as I think that the p11 part is too short. Is made for newer models with long external extractors like my 226 Tacops so good to have on hand anyway.

What I have read is that the spiral pins P11 and P12 do better than the solid pins knurled on one end. Is whether those will work in the carbon folded slide.

Still a work in progress.

Banned
posted Hide Post
And the answer is that the P11 and P12 pins fall out. I put in a new inner and outer pin will see if that holds. If it backs out will change firing pin and it’s spring and use one of the solid pins. I don’t think will fall out little larger diameter than the spiral pins.

Looks like Sig has the 226 conversion kit back in stock and that will be the ultimate answer.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Email me your address and I'll send you correct pin.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Email me your address and I'll send you correct pin.

Appreciate the offer but I have several sets of the two piece ones made for the carbon steel slides and also the solid ones with the knurled end. That just leaves the solid pin with a groove running lengthwise unless you know of yet another variant

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I have a few spirol pins if you want to try one. I was misinformed about the part number and availability by customer rep. or he misunderstood me. But I have one I could send you if you want. 3.5mm x 24 mm. It will fit for sure.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a few spirol pins if you want to try one. I was misinformed about the part number and availability by customer rep. or he misunderstood me. But I have one I could send you if you want. 3.5mm x 24 mm. It will fit for sure.

I have tried the P11 and P12 and they just drop out.
If the two piece drifts out again I will try the solid ones that have the knurled end. Supposed to be a bear to remove those but am willing to take the chance.

I am likely just going to order another slide from Sig with parts from this century not the last one. Appreciate the help

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I'd only caution that the solid knurled pins are intended to be driven into stainless steel slides, where the slide is harder than the pin and the ribs on the knurled end deform to hold the pin in. I don't know how hard a carbon steel slide is, and whether you'd end up deforming the hole rather than the pin.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post