SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Which firing pin retaining pin for my folded slide West German 226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which firing pin retaining pin for my folded slide West German 226 Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
I'd only caution that the solid knurled pins are intended to be driven into stainless steel slides, where the slide is harder than the pin and the ribs on the knurled end deform to hold the pin in. I don't know how hard a carbon steel slide is, and whether you'd end up deforming the hole rather than the pin.

A good point. Actually since this is a range practice gun I will likely stick with the two piece pin set and tap back in as needed. I have 4 sets of them. May have to put the 407 dollars that Sig wants for a new slide toward a Daniel Defense poodle shooter or maybe more reloading supplies. The slide and frame have like 20k 22 k rounds through them should send to Sig and have them reinvigorate it. It would have had more but I lent it to my dad so he could put it in a closet for 12 years and never fire it.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Sounds like you need to invent anti-walk slide pins. Smile

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmm. Sounds like you need to invent anti-walk slide pins. Smile

Agreed have been thinking about that some. Is a problems that will be solved as carbon steel slides will eventually wear out. This P 226 has always had issues enough so that I am glad that my dad didn’t shoot it at all while he had it.

oh well

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The stamped folded carbon steel P226 slides dual roll pins are known to slowly walk out as the round count on the gun ticks up. I haven't noticed it happening with new roll pins but as the pins wear due to firing the issue slowly occurs. Once every couple thousand rounds I'll notice the roll pins protrude < .5 mm out the right side, and simply place the slide in a padded vice and using a small bit that matches the diameter of the roll pins press them back in.

quote:
I'd only caution that the solid knurled pins are intended to be driven into stainless steel slides, where the slide is harder than the pin and the ribs on the knurled end deform to hold the pin in. I don't know how hard a carbon steel slide is, and whether you'd end up deforming the hole rather than the pin.

Thanks for confirming that as I've read the same thing. I seem to recall a possible diameter difference between either the roll pins themselves or the slide hole diameter. I'll try to remember to break out my calipers and my spare dual roll pins and knurled end solid roll pins for comparison.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
The stamped folded carbon steel P226 slides dual roll pins are known to slowly walk out as the round count on the gun ticks up. I haven't noticed it happening with new roll pins but as the pins wear due to firing the issue slowly occurs. Once every couple thousand rounds I'll notice the roll pins protrude < .5 mm out the right side, and simply place the slide in a padded vice and using a small bit that matches the diameter of the roll pins press them back in.

quote:

Thanks for confirming that as I've read the same thing. I seem to recall a possible diameter difference between either the roll pins themselves or the slide hole diameter. I'll try to remember to break out my calipers and my spare dual roll pins and knurled end solid roll pins for comparison.

Thanks for the response, makes all kinds of sense especially as the round count goes up. and as is strictly a range gun is really not a big deal to tap them back in. Have not seen that happen on my other folded steel gun but is P220 no where near the pressures.

Thank you sir, you have put my mind at ease. Not easy with a crazy old coot like myself.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
Thanks for the response, makes all kinds of sense especially as the round count goes up. and as is strictly a range gun is really not a big deal to tap them back in. Have not seen that happen on my other folded steel gun but is P220 no where near the pressures.

Thank you sir, you have put my mind at ease. Not easy with a crazy old coot like myself.

You are very welcome...happy to help! Smile

Just to expand upon my answer a bit, keep in mind that when the dual roll pins walk out it can be an indication that the pins are broken...but as mentioned previously it can happen when the pins are still intact but simply worn.

Worn or broken dual roll pins can eventually lead to cracked frame rails, so it is important to stay on top of the replacement schedule.

I believe that the SIG maintenance schedule specifies that the dual roll pins be replaced every 5000 rounds.

Interesting that you mention the SIG P220...I've never noticed or read any reports of dual roll pins walking on any of the Classic P series stamped folded carbon steel slides other than the P226 and I've always been curious about that.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:

You are very welcome...happy to help! Smile

Just to expand upon my answer a bit, keep in mind that when the dual roll pins walk out it can be an indication that the pins are broken...but as mentioned previously it can happen when the pins are still intact but simply worn.

Worn or broken dual roll pins can eventually lead to cracked frame rails, so it is important to stay on top of the replacement schedule.

I believe that the SIG maintenance schedule specifies that the dual roll pins be replaced every 5000 rounds.

Interesting that you mention the SIG P220...I've never noticed or read any reports of dual roll pins walking on any of the Classic P series stamped folded carbon steel slides other than the P226 and I've always been curious about that.

I started this investigation because I had a set of pins break and replaced with the nested pins. Then they wanted to walk out after another 5 k rounds or so. I suspect that at first I didn’t set them in deep enough. Now very even on both sides and I will watch them. Know what it acts like when they go south. I have two folded steel P220 slides both have about 15 k rounds on them. no evidence at all of them doing nothing strange.

I have the means to take care of\replace the solid pins in a couple of my sigs and also to take care of the ones that take the spiral pins P11 or P12 depending on extractor.

I have a friend that has taken apart and worked on just about every other part on all of his sigs but has never dealt with the firing pin position pin cause too easy to screw it up.

again thanks for the assist