SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 slidelock when magazine not empty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 slidelock when magazine not empty Login/Join 
posted
I was doing single shots from draw today, and 9 times out of about 120, the slide locked back even though the magazine still had a round ready to go. The mags were fully seated, and it happened on different ammo and mags.

What can I do to gather info on this?

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Where are your thumbs? Good chance that's the problem.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Does it occur when you shoot one handed? If not then watch your support thumb when shooting with two hands.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
If you want to be technical.

The trouble shooting armorers manual says...

1)Thumb is resting under slide catch lever putting upward pressure on the slide catch lever.

2) Damaged slide catch lever spring.

To correct problem (1 Reposition thumb.
2) Replace spring slide catch lever spring.

That’s all that is listed for your problem.

Guessing you have the gun with less than 15,000 rounds . It is most likely thumb is resting under slide catch lever.

You could try holding a Very low grip making sure
the thumb is no way close to the slide catch lever on both sides of the weapon. Test fire and note if the problem goes away.

All P320 do have double slide catch levers.
So there is a chance your trigger finger is bumping the lever on the right side but I doubt that.
I am assuming you are right hand shooting.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all, thanks!

Shooting left handed, and gun has less than 15,000 rounds. However, I have swapped the FCU into a larger frame, so if the side catch lever spring is exposed, that could have been damaged.

The first knuckle of the primary hand thumb sits right below the small shelf on the grip, right below the slide catch lever. Both thumbs point forward, and parallel to the ground. Just did a test, and my primary hand thumb could reach the slide catch.

Looks like I need to relax that thumb a little when the secondary hand has a good grip, or lower it when shooting left handed.

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated on what you figure out.

Could you try shooting right handed just to see how the gun functions.

This P320 is new for me and it’s interesting how problems are resolved.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do! Tomorrow I'll be picking up some bullets and will be loading a bunch of training rounds. I need the practice!

The root cause of this is likely that I'm starting to do fast draws for IDPA. I need to pay attention to how the grip contact gets set. For the most part, the P320 has been a great gun for me; it's probably getting close to a couple thousand rounds.

posted Hide Post
Had the slide lock back again, early on in the recent range time. Pushed myself to keep my thumbs off the frame and the problem went away.

I shot both off side two hand and off side one hand, no real issues.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:

This P320 is new for me and it’s interesting how problems are resolved.

So far I'm really liking it. I use the larger frame module.