SIGforum
P229 DA question Follow up Question

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/3180093064

August 28, 2019, 04:36 PM
retired2006
P229 DA question Follow up Question
I am looking at a P229 E2 in 9mm, and noticed that if you dry fire it DA, the trigger will not return all the way forward to dry fire it again. If you push the trigger forward it will click and operate like my other sig pistols (P220, P226).
Is this normal, if not, what is the most likely cause ?
Also, what is the "E2" mean ?

First thanks for the reply.
Another question, can I install the old 229 screw on grips to this pistol, are they the same as the P228 screw on grip ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: retired2006,
August 28, 2019, 05:31 PM
sigfreund
No, not normal. The trigger should always reset itself after pulling it fully to drop the hammer.

My thought is there is a problem with the trigger bar spring. The “E2” refers to the fact that the pistol has the one-piece grip. Installing that grip can be tricky and cause problems with the trigger bar spring if not done correctly. If it’s a used gun you’re looking at, I suspect that’s what happened. It may be necessary to replace the TBS if it’s been damaged.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 29, 2019, 02:44 PM
GaryBF
quote:
Another question, can I install the old 229 screw on grips to this pistol, are they the same as the P228 screw on grip ?

Yes and yes (except for the marking on the factory plastic grip panels).
September 04, 2019, 01:34 PM
Cous2492
I would either send it back, or start with a trigger bar spring.
September 04, 2019, 01:53 PM
copaup
I'll bet you a nickel that someone bent the trigger bar spring removing the grip or the spring isn't installed correctly. Cheap simple fix that I've had to make more than once...

Grips are interchangeable. I MAY even have a spare set of both 228 and 229 marked grips around here somewhere. If you need them I'll see if I can find where I put them. All my Sigs with the exception of my duty weapon wear G10.