SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig P220 Elite SAO 10mm Hammer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P220 Elite SAO 10mm Hammer Login/Join 
Picture of Kraquin
posted
Just picked up my 10mm from the LGS. It's used, looks clean, barrel is bright, no cosmetic flaws, racks fine, slide is a bit hard to release but that's expected. There is one thing I have to question though, I dry fired and the hammer strikes but it rests about 1/8 off the back of the pin and vibrates for a split second. There's also a little side to side play. I got out my 1911 and dry fired it to compare and the hammer stays firmly on the pin.

It's my first 10mm so is it exhibiting normal hammer movement or is there a problem?

thanks

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Sounds all normal to me. The fact that the hammer sits back from the firing pin is a SIG safety feature. There is a hammer rebound spring that pulls the hammer back after decocking or dry firing. The sear then rests in the hammer safety intercept notch in the event the gun is dropped.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Sounds all normal to me.

Thanks, just not seen that before.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is the normal SIG hammer functioning.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have had folks at pistol shoots ask me (while I was not at the firing line) if the SIG in my holster was at half cock, which it is not. I briefly explain the SIG rebounding hammer and intercept notch to them.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post