SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P6 recoil spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P6 recoil spring Login/Join 
posted
Hello Sages, was installing a new Maui recoil rod and my braided spring has one strand walking out about an eighth of an inch. My mind tells me replace even though less than 500 rounds have been fired since replacing it last. What does the rest of the group think?

Question:
Would you replace spring?
Have you seen spring fail this way?

Choices:
I'm leaning yes.
I have not seen this before.

"220ST (The Man) ROCKS"

Posts: 1853 | Location: in the mitt down the river | Registered: August 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recoil springs are so cheap you can't afford not to replace it. Broke springs don't heal themselves.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You have the option of snipping the wire and continue shooting it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Recoil springs are so cheap you can't afford not to replace it. Broke springs don't heal themselves.

+1 I think that when a recoil spring fails is very difficult to get the gun apart to fix it. What might have caused it? something within the gun itself or just a faulty spring? They are like everything else getting more expensive though. A problem with having somewhat of a good memory and some old invoices available. I am astonished what I have spent on spare parts but if one has the parts on hand they are seldom needed. If don’t have the parts will be needed, some sort of universal law.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Odd stuff.
I had never before heard of a strand migrating from the other two in any Classic line recoil springs. It’s common with the seven-strand twisted (not “braided,” BTW) 357/40 P229 springs, but as I say, I’ve never heard of it with the others.

The guidance for the migrating strand with P229 recoil springs was to discard the spring if it moved out a quarter turn or more; otherwise it can be ignored.

Cutting the strand off simply makes it harder to monitor how far it moves.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
At SIG armorer class they taught us to replace any suspect spring...

Springs are cheap... replace it and buy a second to have on hand.

FWIW

Chuck

quote:
Originally posted by manic mechanic:
Hello Sages, was installing a new Maui recoil rod and my braided spring has one strand walking out about an eighth of an inch. My mind tells me replace even though less than 500 rounds have been fired since replacing it last. What does the rest of the group think?

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post