SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 Take Down Lever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Take Down Lever Login/Join 
posted
P320C, new out of the box, unable to move the take down lever, stuck. After putting on heavy gloves I was finally able to force it down. Then had to use a rod to punch it out. Looks like the o-ring is too tight on the grip module. Removed the 0-ring and all seems ok. Other than jamming up the TDL what purpose does the o-ring serve?

Posts: 20 | Location: Tampa | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Some lubricant might help.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Make sure the magazine is removed before trying to fully rotate/remove the take down lever...ask me how I know. Glad no body was watching me as I almost resorted to your method.

Not certain what the O-ring was intended to do but I figured the SIG engineers had a reason. I left it in. After I figured out what I was doing wrong (see above), the take down levers come out easily on my three P320 pistols. Put some lube on the O-ring and it goes in/out easily.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did drop the mag. Not sure oil is the correct solution for rubber? I will try a little silicone grease. Not impressed with quality control, never had any firearm with the action stuck coming out of the box.

quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Make sure the magazine is removed before trying to fully rotate/remove the take down lever...ask me how I know. Glad no body was watching me as I almost resorted to your method.

Not certain what the O-ring was intended to do but I figured the SIG engineers had a reason. I left it in. After I figured out what I was doing wrong (see above), the take down levers come out easily on my three P320 pistols. Put some lube on the O-ring and it goes in/out easily.

Posts: 20 | Location: Tampa | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK got the o-ring back in with a little silicone grease. A littler better, but still not right. Ordered a new TDL, O-ring, and grip module. Needed the large grip anyway. Let you know what corrects the problem. No way that I have the only stuck o-ring, has be others.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoTracker:
I did drop the mag. Not sure oil is the correct solution for rubber? I will try a little silicone grease. Not impressed with quality control, never had any firearm with the action stuck coming out of the box.

quote:

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Several people---including me---have had this issue. There was apparently one run of takedown levers that ran very slightly large. I called and got a replacement, and it's perfect. Call Sig CS, whover you talk to should know what you're talking about.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will do.

posted Hide Post
Called SIG CS, Chris, he was not aware of any issues with the TDL. He advised that my gun had just left the factory March 1 and would have been checked at that time. I could return the gun for service or order a new TDL and o-ring. He could waive the shipping but not the parts cost. So I ordered the TDL for $16 and the o-ring for $4.00. My TDL looks like it is 20 years old with all the bluing rubbed off from using a glove in attempts to loosen it up. If this does not work it goes back to SIG for repairs. Still not a shot fired. Chris advised that maybe I should jiggle the guide rod and spring while pressing down on the lever. He was actually serious, not April's Fool. I must have missed the jiggle part in the manual, although it did advise to rotate the "flats" until vertical. Not sure what should be vertical the "flats" or the user. In any case, my tension rod/spring is round, so it must apply to the user. I have been carrying a gun since 1971, all purchased new or issued new (Smith, Sig, Beretta, Glock). My favorite was the P226 made in W. Germany, least favorite, let you know in a few weeks. The P320 looks good, feels good and is a great modular concept but it has to be reliable and accurate for me to carry.

Other owners, same problem: More vocal
SIG may be having a quality control problem with the TDL and or o-ring, despite what CS told me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcmlVR4fR6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNtwoCIVVSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTKDpIrSnf8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoTracker,

posted Hide Post
FWIW, I recently replaced my original (Jan 2015) P320C 9mm TDL with the new flat style TDL and a new O-ring.

The original rotated with only slightly more effort than my classic P-series. The new flat style takes three hands. I am clueless as to what Sig did, since the only issue was the external/exposed shape of the TDL itself.

Regarding the O-ring, my presumption is that it keeps the TDL from wandering. Never read anything definitive though.

I used some silicone on the O-ring yesterday and it is SLIGHTLY easier to rotate. A suggestion: Use one of those rubber pads designed for removing jar tops. Gives a little more purchase and saves your thumb.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I scuffed off the finish on the take down lever shaft with a 3M pad. Just enough to remove the finish not the metal. That helped along with lube.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I scuffed off the finish on the take down lever shaft with a 3M pad. Just enough to remove the finish not the metal. That helped along with lube.

^^^^^ So obvious that I never thought of it.

Maybe I'll take a little Flitz paste to the shaft. As you mentioned, just want to slick it up...not change dimensions.

Thanks.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the slot on the TDL is not aligned correctly with the Takedown Safety Lever that goes in the grove as the lever turns. The slot/grove may be just a little bit off center or the Takedown Safety Lever is not lined up correctly. I should have a new TDL from SIG tomorrow and I will put them side by side. I have the newer flat lever. The slot is located on the TDL closest to the o-ring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoTracker,

posted Hide Post
I know of at least 3 different part numbers for the SIG P320 Take Down Lever:
My new P320 was made in FEB 2017 and came with part #777Y101 (which was stuck on arrival), the slim line version is being shipped to replace the larger original style TDL and has part #1300777-R. The replacement TDL being shipped to me this week is part #1300777-03-R. I don't know if the part number makes a difference but it usually a way to track modifications or batch control. I was told the #1300077-03-R was in stock but it did not ship with the O-RING-1 that was also on my order.

The Grip Modules are almost the same way but with no difference in the part number and owners are calling them Ver 1 for the original grip module and Ver 2 for the new ones that fit the new flat TDL and come with a part to replace the Slide Catch Lever Release Assembly Kit KIT-320-SCL.

posted Hide Post
SIG P320 Stuck Takedown Lever problem seems to be solved. Installed a new TDL and O-ring. It is still a little stiff but no gloves required. I think it will loosen up ok.

SIG Part Number: O-RING-1 and 1300777-03-R

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update and pics.

Now we have THREE versions. Never a dull moment.

The flat TDL I bought in January is the same as your original - part #1300777-R. Have the same problem.

Apparently it has been replaced with version THREE - part #1300777-03-R. Hence the "03" reference in the part#. This is mildly aggravating, since Sig obviously had a problem with the prior non-03 version. Now I have to spring for another TDL to rectify the problem. Aargh.

My presumption is that they revised the PITA second TDL version rather than the O-ring to correct the issue. Are there any obvious differences between the two TDL versions that you can discern?

posted Hide Post
The two differences that I see are in the o-rings, the size of the grove in the TDL that snaps in the right side of the grip module when you put in the Takedown Lever, and how much o-ring is showing above the o-ring grove. The new o-ring is on the left and appears to be slightly fatter. The new TDL is on the bottom part of the photo. Notice the wider grove to the left that snaps into the grip module and how the the o-ring stays lower in the grove next to the lever. This may indicate that the new TDL has a deeper o-ring grove. The differences are very slight, but seem to indicate that the new TDL has more play in the grip ring snap and less friction on the o-ring.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoTracker:
SIG P320 Stuck Takedown Lever problem seems to be solved. Installed a new TDL and O-ring. It is still a little stiff but no gloves required. I think it will loosen up ok.

SIG Part Number: O-RING-1 and 1300777-03-R

Your photo shows the takedown lever that I received which fixed my problem.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Same issue I have on my 320c. My full size TDL rotates easily. The 320c is VERY difficult to rotate. I spoke with Sig CS and their solution was to "move the guide rod around". Sorry, no joy.

Maybe with time and use...

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue on the 320RX compact I recently acquired. I didn't have this issue with the 320 compact which was replaced.

After swapping out my threaded barrel a few times and cleaning both barrels a few times, the TDL is still difficult but at least I'm not ripping the skin off my thumb anymore.

I hope with some more use and it will become even easier to rotate.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I have the same issue on the 320RX compact I recently acquired. I didn't have this issue with the 320 compact which was replaced.

After swapping out my threaded barrel a few times and cleaning both barrels a few times, the TDL is still difficult but at least I'm not ripping the skin off my thumb anymore.

I hope with some more use and it will become even easier to rotate.

Yes, there is hope. The flat TDL I referenced in my post above is SLOWLY loosening up. I have a P320C, an X-change kit and a SC grip frame module. Consequently, I swap the FCU out/in more than most. It's at the point where I can turn it without protecting my thumb with a rag. Very stiff, but now able to turn it without loud screams. Smile