SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Okay wierd mag thought
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay wierd mag thought Login/Join 
posted
I was running through ebay yesterday and noticed alot of cheap priced mags, cool till I remember that thier all 10 rounders on ebay.
Then it hit me could you machine or mill out the intentions on the mags side that allows for only ten rounds. Was wondering if anyone had tried this before I trash a mag on something already ventured.
In my mind it seem possible that it would function with only a small window in each side like some are manufactured to start with .

Thanks for any thoughts

Doin right means doin right even when know body is lookin.
Bo

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you’re referring to magazines that are inexpensive (as opposed to “cheap”) because they are less desirable low capacity versions and not because they are low quality, then your idea would probably be fine. The 10-round SIG magazines I have were made by Mec-Gar and are of the same high quality as the full capacity mags.

Not all restricted magazines are limited by something that’s easily modified such as milling out an indentation in the mag tube. During the Dark Decade, for example, 10-round P229 magazines had extended plastic floor plates and shorter tubes; modifying them to accept additional rounds would have been about impossible. In addition, it’s possible that some restricted capacity magazines have springs or followers that are different from the full size versions and there could be complications with using them with extra rounds.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some factory magazine tubes are made of very hard metal and simply drilling them and then smoothing the edges of the holes can be a lot of work. I would not bother if I had the choice just to save a few dollars.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I was referring to the sig manufactured mags that are made to hold only 10 rds. I think l my give this a try and let ya'll know if it works out.
And it's not a few bucks some can be had for 19$ apposed to 40$ or more.

Bo

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bodark:
That's what I was referring to the sig manufactured mags that are made to hold only 10 rds. I think l my give this a try and let ya'll know if it works out.

Another 7 dollars or so for a wolf gunsprings mag spring for the intended capacity. Mecgar supposedly sells theirs as well but have to ask on the phone not listed online.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fellows I'm retired always lookin for something to do before the wife finds me something to do, its a little project to play with.

Bo

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you do get around to the project, please let us know how it turns out.

And welcome to the forum, BTW. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bodark:

I sure would like for you to point out some of those $19 sig manufactured magazines. Being stuck behind the lines in NJ, I'd like to stock up...

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
274202087946 item number on ebay 21.00 +3.00 shipping

Bo