SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Loose Front Sight Fx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose Front Sight Fx Login/Join 
posted
Front replacement Night Sight Post is loose, without messing things up too much, what's the best fix?

First thought: Loctite.

But I know that may not be the right answer.

I dont want to start banging it with a hammer and punch to "raise a dimple".

Is Loctite a real option or not?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drshame,

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What kind of gun we talking about? Dovetail mounted sight? Confused

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Loctite is a legitimate option, in my opinion.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 9MM Shield 2.0 with front dovetail.
Trijicon Night Sights replacing OEM S&W about 4 months ago.
I'm concerned my banging the sight base to dimple it some for a tighter fit could damage the Tritium Tube inside.
Looking for other possible options.
This is a very nice little gun ..the Apex Trigger System is a great improvment, but I have been plagued with little QC issues...so it really isn't getting too much use.

posted Hide Post
Blue Loctite and calipers to try and get it centered as best as possible...will see at the range how I did. Looks pretty good.
Will let it set a day before seeing if it's still loose.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan. Definitely go (start at least) with the Loctite. Thoroughly de-grease the dovetail and the sight base first.

In my sight installations, I just eyeball the sight centering. If any adjustment needs to be made, the rear sight can be easily drifted.

I've never attempted precise, measured centering. IMHO, a lot of pistols would not necessarily shoot precisely to POA due to manufacturing tolerances anyway. Never seen any research, but makes sense to me. Good luck.

Lots of different opinions on dimpling. I'm in the no camp.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the less destructive answer to try first.
Will see how the Blue Loctite works out.
There's always "Red"if it still loosens up. But it seems to be in pretty well now.
Wonder how may have used "Super Glue" as a last resort?
I'm betting a busy gunsmith has seen it all!

Update: Hit the range, front site stayed in place. SXeemed to center well at 5-7 yards, 10-15 started hitting down, left. But that;s where it did before too, with my poor eyes and shooting style. So I believe it's back to where it was before the front sight loosened. Hopes it lasts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drshame,