SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 front sight removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 front sight removal Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a new front sight and was wondering which way to drift out the old sight and install the new one. Thanks in advance.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remove R-L, Install L-R.

I install my own sights using the hammer/punch method.

Make sure the punch you use is sized properly to fit the dovetail/sight base. Do not whack the blade itself. Also, depending on sight, the new one may need fitting. Check with mfgr.

For the front sight I bought an aluminum punch from Dawson. Then filed it to the proper width. Unavailable now, but here's what it looks/looked like:
https://dawsonprecision.com/da...-installation-tools/

https://dawsonprecision.com/video-archive/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Remove R-L, Install L-R.

Make sure the punch you use is sized properly to fit the dovetail/sight base. Do not whack the blade itself. Also, depending on sight, the new one may need fitting. Check with mfgr.

For the front sight I bought an aluminum punch from Dawson. Then filed it to the proper width. Unavailable now, but here's what it looks/looked like:

Thank You!

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Remove R-L, Install L-R.

Do you know which of the Dawson aluminum punches would fit a P320 front sight dovetail?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dawson punches are junk. Use a pusher.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The dawson punches are junk. Use a pusher.

That's wise advise. Unfortunately I just went the route that I took with my Beretta PX4 front sight (which until this P320 WAS the most difficult front pistol sight I'd removed) and cut the sight in half to remove it.

Worked just dandy with the PX4 (sights were junk anyway) as the cut PX4 sight loosened up in the dovetail and came out, but on this P320 the front sight base is now stuck in the dovetail as the top of the front sight has sheared off. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but now the only thing I can think of is slowly filing out the base.

It's been a day, in a number of ways. I'm open to suggestions at this point.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the front sight shear off with a punch or a pusher?

You can use a drift to tap the remaining sight base out of the dovetail, or you can do the same thing with a pusher (even without the rest of the sight remaining.

A drift has the potential for doing damage with every blow, whether it slips or not. A pusher provides adjustable pressure with each application, and it can be set up in advance to prevent damage. It can still be used to remove the broken base by adjusting it to push on the base.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
[T]he front sight base is now stuck in the dovetail as the top of the front sight has sheared off.

I would think that using a fine Dremel cutoff wheel to make a groove in the sight base would loosen it to the point that it could be easily removed with a punch. An appropriate needle file could also be used and would reduce the risk of unintentional damage to the slide, but would obviously be slower and more work.

Or start with the Dremel and finish with a file.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
[T]he front sight base is now stuck in the dovetail as the top of the front sight has sheared off.

I would think that using a fine Dremel cutoff wheel to make a groove in the sight base would loosen it to the point that it could be easily removed with a punch. An appropriate needle file could also be used and would reduce the risk of unintentional damage to the slide, but would obviously be slower and more work.

That is exactly what I would suggest. The dremel cut should weaken the base even before it would cut through. Then you should be able to tap it out.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by babue:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

That is exactly what I would suggest. The dremel cut should weaken the base even before it would cut through. Then you should be able to tap it out.

Too funny. I got to the Dremel yesterday to do that same thing and thought, “When the Dremel comes out, it’s probably a good time to hit the pause button.” There is a gunsmith not far from where I live so I will swing by his place after work today and see what he suggests.

This sight was so stuck that even using a steel punch I was starting to deform the base of the front sight, without the slightest budge. This was all in a heavy bench vise bolted to a decent garage bench. I thought my Beretta PX4 was bad, but it has nothing on this. At least with my Beretta once I collapsed the front sight with a cut it came out just dandy. I’m beginning to wonder if the universe hasn’t just fused this front sight into the dovetail or something since penetrating oil and a cut did nothing for me.

posted Hide Post
Took it by the gunsmith...he said I stopped JUST in time. Smile I had a feeling....

Super easy fix for him, but he said this is the 3rd or 4th P320 he's seen where the front sight can't be removed by average joe types like myself. Good to know.

Before he puts the new front sight on, though, I'm going to have him Cerakote the slide just because. Couldn't resist...been meaning to get something Cerakoted so I can put it through the paces and see what all the fuss is about, and this seems like as good a time as any. We'll just call this a happy accident.

Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
I've swapped about 20 sets of sights of the years. I don't recall any problems getting sights out as long as I went from right to left. I used a sight pusher for this part.

I've always had problems getting sight reinstalled into the dovetails. The armorer's course answer is that sights are started with a punch and hammer and finished with the pusher and I've found this works best. With the hammer and punch you can apply force lower on the body of the sight which means its less likely to break off. I try to drive the sights with a punch until the edge of the sight is almost flush with the slide. I then finish the job with the pusher.

Some aftermarket sights (Dawson and Trijicon) are a few 1/1000's over sized and can be impossible to get in without tweaking. The way to check is to take the sight and push it in by hand. If the sight won't got about 1/3 of the way in by hand, it's too tight. You need to polish the bottom of the sight with sandpaper to remove enough material to get that 1/3 fit.

I have broken off two Trijicon HD front sights by not checking for fit first. They simply offered too much resistance and the front sight broke when put under the force I was applying.

I originally heard of the 1/3 fit check from Trijicon when I called them about broken sights. WHen discussing similar issues with Dawson, they advised the same thing.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, was removing from right to left. Just needed a pusher and a bigger vise, apparently.