SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Repairing Tiny Nick In Bluing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repairing Tiny Nick In Bluing? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I've got this Marlin 1894CB upon which I tried to replace the half-buckhorn with a full-buckhorn and (so far) failed.

In the process I dinged the bluing. It's just a tiny little ding, but, I'd like to make it Go Away.

To that end I bought a bottle of Birchwood Casey Super Blue. Before I screw things up even more badly: What is the best way to apply this?

I've read and read and read. What I think I want to do is clean the area with denatured alcohol (where to find?), warm it with my wife's hair dryer, apply a tiny little drop of bluing to the tiny little ding, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe with a wet, then dry (paper?) towels. Repeat, as-necessary, until the ding disappears?

Some have commented this stuff is more black than blue, which would be about right, because so is the bluing on the rifle.

The "ding" is so small and minor that it almost disappears with black Sharpie. Maybe I should have got a BC bluing pen, instead?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I've used their bluing pen with pretty decent results on tiny scratches and dings. It's much simpler to use.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
clean the area with denatured alcohol (where to find?)

Most all drug stores sell it, also a lot of big box home improvement places (Home Depot/Lowes) sell it as it can be used on wood for stripping and refinishing.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
I've used their bluing pen with pretty decent results on tiny scratches and dings. It's much simpler to use.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

It won't hurt to have that bottle of Super Blue on-hand, but, I think I'm going to hold off on this and order the pen.

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
clean the area with denatured alcohol (where to find?)

Most all drug stores sell it, also a lot of big box home improvement places (Home Depot/Lowes) sell it as it can be used on wood for stripping and refinishing.

Cool. Thanks!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You can also sharpen a wooden kitchen match and dip it in the super blue for an applicator. It will work just as well.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Denatured alcohol is a great cleaner and degreaser. It evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. I prefer it to acetone, as it is less toxic. I pick it up at Ace Hardware, or Home Depot if I am in that area. I also get my acetone and mineral spirits there, as well, in gallon cans.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
You can also sharpen a wooden kitchen match and dip it in the super blue for an applicator. It will work just as well.

Or just use a toothpick. Good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz: 
Denatured alcohol is a great cleaner and degreaser. It evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. I prefer it to acetone, as it is less toxic.

Probably less aggressive on some surfaces, too.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There is only one way to remove a Marlin rear sight. It is a tapered dovetail and will only get tighter if you push the wrong way.

Put a business card under the sight leaf so as it slides across the barrel it won't scratch.

As I recall the sight moves from shooters left to shooters right. Towards ejection port. Been a long time.

A peep sight is better and lauded for accuracy. These mount to the rear scope ring tapped holes.

You put a Marbles dovetail filler in the sight dovetail if you mount a peep.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
There is only one way to remove a Marlin rear sight. It is a tapered dovetail and will only get tighter if you push the wrong way.

Some people say that. Others say that's nonsense: Trick To Replacing Buckhorn Rear Sight On Marlin 1894?

quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
A peep sight is better and lauded for accuracy. These mount to the rear scope ring tapped holes.

I'm trying to keep the rifle "historically accurate."