SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Botched AR Bolt Release Issue

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Botched AR Bolt Release Issue Login/Join 
Picture of ACClauhs
posted
My brother brought me his DPMS kit rifle to fix. The bolt release was botched during installation. Basically, he used the wrong tool for the wrong job and the below photo is the results. A broken punch holds the left side in and a broken roll pin holds the other. I'm wracking my brain to come up with a solution but I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Depending on how "stuck" the punch end is, you may be able to drove both out. But if you do, please do so from the back of the receiver tapping forward.

Always attempt to avoid driving pins from the front side, there is very limited clearance there. Brownells sells a relieved punch that had a flat which give more clearance, but it's a rather thin punch to be begin with. If you use the right tools, you will never have to come in from the front side.

Using a roll pin holder will help when you go to put in the replacement pin.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Here you go,

http://www.brownells.com/gunsm...punch-prod26484.aspx

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1536 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Report This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
Here you go,

Lucky for me, I was able to convince work to buy this for me last year with my new armorers kit.

My concern with the tapping it out from the rear is the broken punch may be into the roll pin. I'm eating until I can get an extra set of hands, it may be a delicate operation, lol.

Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
I doubt the punch is into the roll pin - but I've been wrong a few times.

You might consider gently heating the aluminum lower with a heat gun if semi-gentle taps don't accomplish anything at room temperature.The aluminum has a higher thermal coefficient of expansion than does the steel pin and punch, so even a little heat will help.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Report This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
Here you go,

These are great little punches.

I have one at home and we use them at work. They're actually quite durable. In addition to using them for bolt catch roll pin, I use it for the roll pin on the forward assist, too.

I'd just try using the Brownells punch to drive both out, from the rear.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well let me tell you, I'm certainly no expert, but I did something similar.

I took it to my local really good gunsmith. Less than 10 minutes while I waited, he took care my goof and then fixed it properly for me.

$20 well spent.

To quote JAllen from SigForum, nothing beats knowing what you are doing. I didn't but knew someone who did.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Any update on this? Did the pin come out easily?

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Report This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
No joy. Broken punch end appears to have embedded itself into the roll pin. Won't move a millimeter. Still works but looks like crap. Gave him back his lower and advised him to use proper technique and tools next time.

posted Hide Post
That is to bad. At least he can still use it.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Report This Post