SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Grease or blue loc-tite (the real stuff) for grip screws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grease or blue loc-tite (the real stuff) for grip screws Login/Join 
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted
As above, which would you fine folks recommend for a new style P226 going from e2 to regular panels?

If loc-tite, wait for the drop to dry and then screw in or put together wet?

What say ye, fine sages of SigForum?

Thanks for your opinions, as well.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
My understanding of loctite is to start turning the screw(s) before it drys. Hope this helps.

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
If you must go with one or the other, I'd try grease first.

That said, assuming you're concerned with them loosening up, maybe you should try nothing just to verify there's even an issue. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honey. Blade-Tech uses it to secure their holster screws.

De-grease before applying.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I use blue LOCTITE but I've also had success with small rubber o-rings beneath the head of the screw. Lube them lightly so they don't swish out when applying light torque.

Better to loose a grip screw than over tighten and damage the frame.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vibra-Tite!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
If you must go with one or the other, I'd try grease first.

That said, assuming you're concerned with them loosening up, maybe you should try nothing just to verify there's even an issue. Wink

Unlike most other things, I read the instructions for gun things- it says to. Wink

The spare screws in the parts kits have a red drop of something on them, looks like it could be Vibra-Tite.

Thanks for the input gents, will mull over the options- I don't want to mess up the gift I received (G10 Hogue Piranhas) or the screws I got or the gun...and so on Smile

You guys are the best!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had an issue with grip screws backing out on any of my guns with nothing on the threads.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. It works very well.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I've never had an issue with grip screws backing out on any of my guns with nothing on the threads.

I'm honestly more worried about over-torquing them without the lubricity of one of the fluids and getting them stuck on, or stripping the threads of the gun. Adding a fluid lets one torque without as much mechanical resistance from the parts. I have been accused, more than once, of not knowing my own strength.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My one time experience with Vibra-Tite was not encouraging. The screws loosened up from one range session, and yes I followed the directions for its use. I remain committed to purple Loctite for grip screws. It holds forever, never fully hardens, and does not take long to clean off both male and female threads if you need to take them out and reuse. A bit of acetone will clean off the old, as well as degrease them for the next application.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I remain committed to purple Loctite for grip screws. It holds forever, never fully hardens, and does not take long to clean off both male and female threads if you need to take them out and reuse. A bit of acetone will clean off the old, as well as degrease them for the next application.

Cleaning off the old was my biggest headache when using the blue. Sounds like I need to get some purple!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use purple Loctite on the screws. It's made for screws smaller than 10-32. It is considered "serviceable" Loctite. Most of the time, dry will do unless you live in humid areas.

Posts: 13 | Location: Bluemont, VA | Registered: March 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As above the product you want is purple 222 and not blue. Will work great.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
As above the product you want is purple 222 and not blue. Will work great.

As came up in another thread, 222, and 222ms are essentially the same thing (info from Henkel). The 'ms' stands for mil-spec, and is only sold in the USA. The 222 is sold worldwide. So buy whichever you can get.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My comment was that you want 222 (any version) and not 242.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
My comment was that you want 222 (any version) and not 242.

I understand what you meant. I only posted the additional info because the question came up in another thread regarding 222(ms), and whether or not one was different than the other. Info from Henkel was posted stating they are essentially the same.

Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
Brue Gray would tell you to get some damn grease.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have used this in the truck repair industry.
Very good product.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post