SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig Armorer Video at Top Gun Supply
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Armorer Video at Top Gun Supply Login/Join 
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Along with the DVD, are there any tool requirements/recommendations for disassembly beyond field stripping or other general smithing work? I may be interested in switching the mag release to the right side on my P229R. It would be nice to have what I would need prior to sitting down and attempting anything.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To switch out the mag release on a 229 you need a small, flat-blade screwdriver. You'll need the appropriate driver to remove the grip panels of course and perhaps a larger screwdriver or nylon punch to remove the support plate if its stubborn.

Other tools necessary to go beyond field-stripping the 229 include a 3mm cup tip punch (both a starter or short punch as well as a standard length punch), a 3/32" and 1/16" pin punch and a hammer. Not much in the way of tools is required for disassembly/reassembly.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris -
Just received my copy of your DVD...FANTASTIC!

tore my 226st down to the frame for complete cleaning after last weekend's romp around in blowing sand.

All said and done it was less than what the local gunsmith wanted and I walk away with a complete understanding of the weapon...it's a Win/Win 4 me!

Posts: 14 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nashorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrSIG226:
Chris -
Just received my copy of your DVD...FANTASTIC!

tore my 226st down to the frame for complete cleaning after last weekend's romp around in blowing sand.

All said and done it was less than what the local gunsmith wanted and I walk away with a complete understanding of the weapon...it's a Win/Win 4 me!

Same for me Chris(s)...great job on the video. I learned several things about my SIG so I really appreciate you putting this together.

The SIG community owes you a big thanks for this!

Cheers...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nashorn,

Proud owner of a P220-9 "Canuck"!

Posts: 496 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom01
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DrSIG and nashorn, for the nice comments. Chris O. and I appreciate your buying the DVD. We hope it's helpful.

-Chris

__________________________________________________________________________________
David Harsanyi responds to critics of war memorial for Navy Cross recipient Danny Dietz:
"When a dove can protect our children from religious fanatics who'd like to behead them, I'll visit the National Peace Dove Memorial. For now, I look forward to taking my kids to Littleton and explaining why guys like Danny Dietz deserve to be honored."

Posts: 4394 | Location: Utah | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've recently picked up an older P220, would the guns covered be close enough to be of help to me? The gun is a 1986. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: manic mechanic,

"220ST (The Man) ROCKS"

Posts: 1853 | Location: in the mitt down the river | Registered: August 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manic mechanic:
I've recently picked up an older P220, would the guns covered be close enough to be of help to me? The gun is a 1987 or 8. Thanks.

Absolutely. Don't know if your pistol has an integral front sight and/or a Euro mag release, but the innards are essentially the same.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I received your DVD from Brownells this afternoon. I've already been through it once! What a great resource for the SIG owner! I learned more about my 228 this afternoon than I had during the 14 years that I've been carrying one!! THANKS AGAIN!!

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greekfed:
Chris,

I received your DVD from Brownells this afternoon. I've already been through it once! What a great resource for the SIG owner! I learned more about my 228 this afternoon than I had during the 14 years that I've been carrying one!! THANKS AGAIN!!

On behalf of Chris O. and me, Thank you!

-Chris

__________________________________________________________________________________
David Harsanyi responds to critics of war memorial for Navy Cross recipient Danny Dietz:
"When a dove can protect our children from religious fanatics who'd like to behead them, I'll visit the National Peace Dove Memorial. For now, I look forward to taking my kids to Littleton and explaining why guys like Danny Dietz deserve to be honored."

Posts: 4394 | Location: Utah | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris, I got your DVD its awesome!
Thanks alot!

Will you be doing a new DVD soon?
Volume 2 maybe on the missing guns?
Like 1911 GSR and the X-Five L1 triggers?

Posts: 54 | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Our next DVD will be on the Sig Pro line and sight installation. A work-in-progress as it were.

posted Hide Post
any dates yet ... I will need to buy that one as well.

Posts: 54 | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom01
posted Hide Post
It should be ready around the first part of November. I hope!

Picture of luteplayers
posted Hide Post
Got my DVD from Top Gun Supply. Great DVD, I am picking up my X-Five off layaway tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything particular about it that isn't covered on the DVD.

The DVD played flawlessly on my laptop, skipped a bit in my DVD player, might be time to upgrade my player I guess.

Sig 226 X-Five .40 L1,
Ruger MKIII Stainless Target
Ruger 10/22
ETC(SW), USN (Ret)

45R "Steel will make you fast but paper keeps you honest."

Posts: 774 | Location: North Waterboro, Maine | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I picked up a 226 .40 CPO from Powderhorn in Williston VT. This evening I placed an order with Top Gun Supply for this Sig Armorer DVD after reading the great reviews in this thread. I like to tinker with my firearms and figured that this purchase would be helpful. I am looking forward to watching this video and learning more about my new SIG.

Tony

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom01:
quote:
Originally posted by patriotjjt:
do they make a dvd for the sig pro 2340? any info appr. thanks

We don't have one at the moment, but we're tentatively planning to work on one soon.

I would really be interested in this as well.

Posts: 1549 | Registered: June 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<JasonCookUS>
posted
Awesome DVD!
Thanks Chris, I enjoyed it, and I learned from it!

(critic voice)
uhm, well, there were a few occations that your arm covered the camera enough to block what I was trying to see... but it didnt hinder my learning.
(/critic voice)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've owned this DVD for as long as I've owned a my Sigs (about two months). Previously I have never owned or touched a gun but using this video I was able to completely disassemble and reasemble my 226 and 220ST. Great job.

Some constructive criticism...

I echo those who commented on the focus issues and lack of a good view in several shots. While they lead to some small challenges as I tried to follow the video's lead, I was able to figure it out mostly due to Chris' explanations. A second camera, directly overhead, would help.

My brand new 226 has a different type of pin than was shown holding the firing pin assembly into the slide -- it is, I believe the solid disposable type, rather than the one shown on Chris' older stamped slide (I'm afraid to remove it not having a replacement on hand and don't plan to for some time, as Chris suggests). I would like the video to address the newer guns designs more directly.

My second gun, the 220 ST, has a significantly different slide design, with an internal extractor and a different firing pin assembly. Removing the firing pin was easy, but the extractor had me fooled for a while. I would like to see the 220ST, a very popular model, be directly addressed including its strange internal extractor.

All in all, these are really nitpicks. Sigarms should consider including this DVD with all their guns, it is that good.

As far as future videos, I'd like one on daily maintenace and changing/alignment of sights...Mike

Posts: 217 | Registered: August 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple questions on the upcoming video. Are there differences between the SP 2340 and SP2022 so that my SP2022 will be covered? Also, will it cover the Mosquito that we got my wife yesterday?

Does it go further than the field stripping in the manual? Is there a list somewhere of tools I need for the SP2022 and Mosquito to do all the things the video shows? I'd like to have everything ready at the same time.

Yeah, okay, so that's more than a couple questions. I am HYPED about my Sigs; can I pre-order the video? Smile

ciao!

leam

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom01
posted Hide Post
Leam and Leadfoot,

I'm going to answer your questions in a new post.

Thanks!

-Chris