SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    p229 dak unoperable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p229 dak unoperable? Login/Join 
posted
hello!

I ran across problem and I don't have a clue of what happened, or how to fix it! the 229 is a 9mm, and what happened is I loaded a magazine in the gun and pulled the slide to load a round when the slide, went is to battery it felt heavy and forced. so i dropped the mag and attempted to operate the slide to clear the round and i was not able to do it. it appears as if its blocked by something and of course due to the live round I have not forced to much on it or done much with it, so I am taping in to the vast knowledge here and asking if anyone knows what could have caused this a a possible solution??? any help will be appreciated thank you!!!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX Panhandle | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have experienced damaged ammunition where the case had a bent lip from the factory loading dies. The case is likely stuck in the chamber and is difficult to extract. You need to give the slide nose a good smack. If the extractor jumps the case rim or gets chipped, so be it. You can then deal with the stuck round, which can be punched out with a cleaning rod or wood dowel. Being a DAK, you may want to remove the mainspring first so there is no pressure on the hammer.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes to all that.
In addition, it sometimes works to put the edge of the front of the slide next to the barrel on something firm like a piece of scrap lumber on a table, bench, etc., and press down with all one’s weight to drive the slide back and (hopefully) extract the round. Just be careful where the gun will go when it slips off the wood (as it most likely will a time or two). That process can be a little easier to control than striking the slide, and I’ve had success on occasion doing that.

As a caution, I would avoid trying to fire the round to make it easier to remove the case even if the slide is fully in battery. If the case mouth is damaged and putting additional pressure on the bullet, that could cause increased chamber pressure when firing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello! You guys are awesome !!!!! THANK YOU!!!! It was the round i noticed that it was bulging at the area where the bullet was seated. removed the mainspring and used the rear sights again a chair and wallah!!! so THANK YOU GUYS!!! from the bottom of my heart and nothing broke either 50 rounds later with no other issues.

Posts: 653 | Location: TX Panhandle | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good deal!
Thanks for the update.

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post