SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Limp Trigger P-220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limp Trigger P-220 Login/Join 
Picture of chaswea
posted
When I pull the trigger on my Sig P220 in the double action mode sometimes the hammer does not engage. I must push down the de-cocker for the trigger to engage. Can someone help me understand what is going on?

Posts: 28 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: August 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a broken trigger spring? If you remove the right side grip panel and post some pictures, that might help.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, my first guess would be a broken trigger bar spring. Wink

Check as bigpond73 recommends. That is the second most common failure in P220 pistols in my experience.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Yes, my first guess would be a broken trigger bar spring. Wink

Yeah, that spring Big Grin. Thanks for the correction.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chaswea
posted Hide Post
Springs are good. Something to do with de-cocker. This is a near perfect CPO red box gun with the internal extractor and German frame. looks like i will send to Sig custome shop for action enhancement work. This all started when I installed a SRT and them removed and put back in the factory trigger parts. I dont like SRT way to sensative. I did put in a #19 Wolf hammer spring, Nice

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chaswea,

Posts: 28 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: August 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It always helps to have more information. Now that we know you disassembled the gun, I suspect you did not return the trigger bar spring hook to its correct location-a common mistake.

P220TBS by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably irrelevant but did you get the hammer strut back in it’s proper place after changing the spring? Sometimes, I fail to fully seat it up into the frame and then the trigger is “limp” (but I don’t recall that such was temporarily fixed by actuating the decocker).

Also, correct length spring for your style mainspring assembly?

Again, probably irrelevant.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Disassemble, diagnose, and fix. They are simple machines that only seem complicated until you've had them apart a few times.

Just prior to my trigger bar breaking on my P220 several years ago, it began to act in a similar fashion; I suspect it had developed a crack that was causing it to flex under tension. This caused it to engage properly only sporadically. I took it apart after a couple of malfunctions and quickly noticed that the trigger bar was in 2 pieces, rather than the one Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post