SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG Legion 40 229 conversions and caliber changes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Legion 40 229 conversions and caliber changes? Login/Join 
posted
Was just wondering what was possible. I understand the 229 357 barrel will work with simply replacing the existing 40'with it. Any other choices or correct me if I am wrong.

Charles R Sawyer

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From .40 to .357 Sig is a simple OEM barrel change.

A conversion to 9mm will require an aftermarket conversion barrel.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition, since the Sig OEM mags are designated .40/.357, they will properly function with either caliber. One of the simplest "conversions" around.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Legion 40, bought the .357 barrel and it dropped in fine. If you bought a .357 or a .40 mag you would get the same one. I believe the sights, if you bought the .357 are slightly different numbers but not enough to make a difference at handgun distances. I also bought the 9mm exchange kit which works fine but is expensive, even buying it during one of Sigs 20 per cent off sales. I'm planning to put an RMR on the 9mm slide at some point but hate to lose the Legion slide.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the sights, if you bought the .357 are slightly different numbers but not enough to make a difference at handgun distances.

You might be surprised by the difference. In Mr. Browning's short recoil tilting barrel design, the camming down of the barrel chamber end, which tilts up the muzzle, delays the unlocking of the breech. The tilt down action starts at the same time as the projectile starts down the barrel and before the projectile leaves the barrel. It's not a lot of barrel tilt, of course, but has more of an impact on POI/POA at typical shorter pistol ranges than would gravity on the projectile after it leaves the gun at such range.

This often sparks debate. There are high speed videos on-line showing this effect.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
quote:
I believe the sights, if you bought the .357 are slightly different numbers but not enough to make a difference at handgun distances.

You might be surprised by the difference. In Mr. Browning's short recoil tilting barrel design, the camming down of the barrel chamber end, which tilts up the muzzle, delays the unlocking of the breech. The tilt down action starts at the same time as the projectile starts down the barrel and before the projectile leaves the barrel. It's not a lot of barrel tilt, of course, but has more of an impact on POI/POA at typical shorter pistol ranges than would gravity on the projectile after it leaves the gun at such range.

This often sparks debate. There are high speed videos on-line showing this effect.

It can also vary by pistol. My 229R shoots to the same POI with either the .40 barrel or the .357 Sig barrel. I'd drop the barrel in first, shoot it, then decide if you need to change sights.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, very informative.

Charles R Sawyer

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
You might be surprised by the difference.

Regardless of what happens when the gun fires, the standard factory front sights on P226s and P229s chambered for 357 SIG and 40 S&W differ by only two numbers (typically 6 and 8). That means that their points of impact will differ when switching between the two cartridges by about only 2 inches at 25 yards. I regularly switch between the two rounds in the same guns and never fret about POI differences.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post