SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P229 DA Trigger Takeup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 DA Trigger Takeup Login/Join 
posted
Hello forum - I recently noticed that the hammer on my 90s vintage P229 has a bit of fore and aft slack in it when at rest. The amount of slack can be felt in the trigger when pushing the hammer toward the firing pin. Is this normal wear or something else
Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: Badger State | Registered: March 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I'm calling it normal. As to your specific gun, who knows?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Assuming I understand what you’re asking about, the Classic line pistols allow for some movement of the hammer when it’s not cocked. There is a gap between the intercept notch of the hammer and the sear that can be observed/felt when pushing the hammer forward. It’s not wear, it’s part of the design. If it weren’t for the gap, any little bit of dirt or firing debris would tend to prevent free movements of the parts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks much sigfruend - I believe we are describing the same thing. I appreciate your response.
Mike.
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Assuming I understand what you’re asking about, the Classic line pistols allow for some movement of the hammer when it’s not cocked. There is a gap between the intercept notch of the hammer and the sear that can be observed/felt when pushing the hammer forward. It’s not wear, it’s part of the design. If it weren’t for the gap, any little bit of dirt or firing debris would tend to prevent free movements of the parts.

Posts: 5 | Location: Badger State | Registered: March 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
The DA pre-travel or "take up" in a Classic P-Series DA/SA can be removed via either an aftermarket trigger with pre-travel adjustment, or by modifying parts to space the trigger bar a bit forward and thus moving the at-rest trigger back some. The little "cam" looking thing on the end of the hammer pivot pin does that.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thaks for the great info!

quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
The DA pre-travel or "take up" in a Classic P-Series DA/SA can be removed via either an aftermarket trigger with pre-travel adjustment, or by modifying parts to space the trigger bar a bit forward and thus moving the at-rest trigger back some. The little "cam" looking thing on the end of the hammer pivot pin does that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usroady,