SIGforum
P229 DA Trigger Takeup

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/2440045934

March 24, 2018, 10:26 AM
usroady
P229 DA Trigger Takeup
Hello forum - I recently noticed that the hammer on my 90s vintage P229 has a bit of fore and aft slack in it when at rest. The amount of slack can be felt in the trigger when pushing the hammer toward the firing pin. Is this normal wear or something else
Thanks!
March 24, 2018, 01:47 PM
GaryBF
I'm calling it normal. As to your specific gun, who knows?
March 27, 2018, 07:32 AM
sigfreund
Assuming I understand what you’re asking about, the Classic line pistols allow for some movement of the hammer when it’s not cocked. There is a gap between the intercept notch of the hammer and the sear that can be observed/felt when pushing the hammer forward. It’s not wear, it’s part of the design. If it weren’t for the gap, any little bit of dirt or firing debris would tend to prevent free movements of the parts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
March 27, 2018, 07:41 AM
usroady
Thanks much sigfruend - I believe we are describing the same thing. I appreciate your response.
Mike.
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Assuming I understand what you’re asking about, the Classic line pistols allow for some movement of the hammer when it’s not cocked. There is a gap between the intercept notch of the hammer and the sear that can be observed/felt when pushing the hammer forward. It’s not wear, it’s part of the design. If it weren’t for the gap, any little bit of dirt or firing debris would tend to prevent free movements of the parts.

April 18, 2018, 02:42 AM
bumper
The DA pre-travel or "take up" in a Classic P-Series DA/SA can be removed via either an aftermarket trigger with pre-travel adjustment, or by modifying parts to space the trigger bar a bit forward and thus moving the at-rest trigger back some. The little "cam" looking thing on the end of the hammer pivot pin does that.

April 18, 2018, 04:27 PM
usroady
Thaks for the great info!

quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
The DA pre-travel or "take up" in a Classic P-Series DA/SA can be removed via either an aftermarket trigger with pre-travel adjustment, or by modifying parts to space the trigger bar a bit forward and thus moving the at-rest trigger back some. The little "cam" looking thing on the end of the hammer pivot pin does that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usroady,