SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Tweak My Kimber's Extractor Tension: Yea or Nay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tweak My Kimber's Extractor Tension: Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
As noted in My New Kimber Custom II 10mm GFO: Range Report, I'm getting a lot of FTFs. Almost entirely all nose-up, last week, with the Kimber mag that came with the gun. Yesterday, with Wilson mags, some nose-up, but more often with them partially in the chamber. (I could partway rack the slide, let it go, and they'd finish chambering.)

I was going to wait until I hit the 500-round mark (I've 200 down the pipe atm) before worrying too much about it, but a 1911 aficionado friend of mine is encouraging me not to wait. He believes it's probably too much extractor tension and recommends I adjust it.

It's easy enough to do. So, I'm thinking, why not give it just the smallest tweak when I take it down for cleaning?

What say you all: Yea or Nay?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
had some FTF with my Ultra Carry. By the time I figured what was causing it the extractor broke. Installed a Wilson and tweeked it and it's fine.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up, rexies.

Looks like nobody has an opinion, so I guess I'll just go for it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Check tension first, remove slide and barrel. Then slide empty round under extractor, should have slight resistant then shake the slide and see if extractor holes empty round then try with live round. If it holds its not too loose. If it seems tight putting round under extractor then too tight.
You can buy a gage strip (not sure of correct term) from brownells and put a pull gage on it (25-28 oz) its a little piece metal with hole on each end. I haven't looked but check Youtube for how to set 1911 extractor tension. I hope this helps I haven't messed with 1911 for while.
But check it before you do anything.

Posts: 1541 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up, Greymann.

I've watched two videos on how to check extractor tension--one being an empty shell casing under the extractor, the other using a full round under the extractor and sliding the barrel on and off. I'll definitely do those before tweaking anything. But odds are, since I've experienced zero FTEs and frequent FTFs, it's too high.

My somewhat scientific/engineering mindset calls out for actually measuring the tension, but that would require a decent trigger gauge and that Weigand 1911 Extractor Tension Gauge (which is really just a link that allows one to use a trigger gauge to measure extractor tension), and don't care to spend the money on a good trigger gauge at this time.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I had issues with my 2011 chambered in .38 Lapua.
I chased the issues for a long time, very frustrating.

I eventually replaced the ejector with one that had a shorter beak. And installed an AFTEC extractor. The pistol hasn't malfunctioned since.

https://dawsonprecision.com/extractors-1911-by-aftec/

The AFTEC extractor uses two small coil springs for the extractor tension, instead of "bending" the extractor.

I would say the one they sell for .40 S&W would be fine for your 10mm, .40 S&W & 10mm share the same case head dimensions.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead, cee_Kamp. I'll keep that in mind. I think first I'll try tweaking the extractor the gun has, though.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic,
I will say that in the last 15 years I have owned at least three Kimber full sized 5" bbl Gen II .45 ACP pistols that just didn't work. They sure had nice fit/finish/features. But those pistols just wouldn't run with ball ammo. Factory ball ammo from assorted major brands. Eventually I learned my lesson. I will no longer own a Kimber pistol. I had a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm, but sold it and got a SIG/Lipsey's 10mm SSE SAO. For me, I know I made the right choice. And my Ruger Blackhawk with dual cylinders in .40 S&W & 10mm is pretty nice as well. No malfunctions at all. I also have a S&W 3rd Generation Model 1076 that runs 10mm without issues.

I hope your Kimber turns out better than mine.

NRA Instructor

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:

We shall see. Most, I'd say even the vast majority, of the user reports I read on the Custom II's were positive.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
ensigmatic,
I will say that in the last 15 years I have owned at least three Kimber full sized 5" bbl Gen II .45 ACP pistols that just didn't work. They sure had nice fit/finish/features. But those pistols just wouldn't run with ball ammo. Factory ball ammo from assorted major brands. Eventually I learned my lesson. I will no longer own a Kimber pistol. I had a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm, but sold it and got a SIG/Lipsey's 10mm SSE SAO. For me, I know I made the right choice. And my Ruger Blackhawk with dual cylinders in .40 S&W & 10mm is pretty nice as well. No malfunctions at all. I also have a S&W 3rd Generation Model 1076 that runs 10mm without issues.

Kimber kind of known to be problematic are they series 70 or 80? a couple years ago their CS was getting bashed on a regular basis. YMMV

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Gen II Kimber pistols are similar to Colt series 80. But not exactly the same.
If I recall correctly, the firing pin block on the Kimber is released with grip safety motion, while on the Colt the firing pin block is released with trigger motion.

I don't miss my Kimbers one little bit, or the Colt's either. I satisfy my 1911/2011 needs strictly with Dan Wesson (1911) and SVI (2011)

NRA Instructor

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gen II Kimber pistols are similar to Colt series 80. But not exactly the same.
If I recall correctly, the firing pin block on the Kimber is released with grip safety motion, while on the Colt the firing pin block is released with trigger motion.

I don't miss my Kimbers one little bit, or the Colt's either. I satisfy my 1911/2011 needs strictly with Dan Wesson (1911) and SVI (2011)

Roger that. I have none currently would entertain Dan Wesson, STI, and maybe Nighthawk.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any reason not to send it back to Kimber? Just curious since messing with it “may” void the warranty, though not sure how they would know if you made a slight adjustment to ectractor tension.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post