SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P230SL reassembly problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230SL reassembly problem Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
I tried to find a video or concise instructions on how to replace the main spring on my P230SL without success. So, like a fool, I plunged ahead, thinking “how hard could it be?”

Not only did I come to realize that it could be difficult to replace the spring on the hammer strut, but it could also be pretty hard to get the pistol to go back together properly at all. I think the problem is in the relationship of the hammer strut, the decocker, and the hammer. And maybe the trigger bar. The only parts I actually removed were the grips and the hammer strut assembly. The trigger bar and its spring fell out but I got them back in place properly, I believe.

Does anybody have a pro-tip to offer with regard to the position (at rest, decocked or fully cocked) of the hammer for reinstallation of the hammer strut/mainspring assembly? I presume that it should be “at rest” to make it less of a struggle to compress the mainspring sufficiently to install the assembly) Or a source of info that will be of use?
I live in an area where there are no gunschmidts to take this to. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
You are correct, the hammer should be at rest for assembly.

The P230 hammer strut has a similar shape to the rest of the classic P series pistols. It is possible to place the wrong curved section, at the top of the strut, in contact with the hammer pivot pin. If you try to assemble the pistol and the strut assembly doesn't go in place properly or the hammer doesn't move properly, re-position the strut so it's other curved section is in contact with the hammer pivot pin. This should correct the problem.

As I recall, the 230s could be difficult to assemble because of the size of the frame and small opening to work through.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a video if the reassembly.
It is in spanish but the video quality is good.
Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaec605kz58

Posts: 20 | Location: South Florida | Registered: November 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched part of the video and while I'm sure he succeeds in getting the pistol back together, he sure makes it harder than it is! It does have a good example of the hammer strut assy being inserted though, which should help your particular problem.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you tell me where to email it, I will send you a copy of the Sig Armorer's Manual that I have for the 230. It is big, some 5 meg in size.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
If you tell me where to email it, I will send you a copy of the Sig Armorer's Manual that I have for the 230. It is big, some 5 meg in size.

I would appreciate a copy of that as well. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:

I would appreciate a copy of that as well. My email is in my profile.

I also would appreciate a copy of the manual. My email is in my profile. Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Same, if you don't mind sending! I've got three of these and have had a heck of a time reassembling them as well

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
If you tell me where to email it, I will send you a copy of the Sig Armorer's Manual that I have for the 230. It is big, some 5 meg in size.[/QUOTE

I have one on order and I would appreciate a copy also. Thanks, George

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
I would also like to jump on this bandwagon, I've gotten a lot of calls from friends on this gun and would like to give better answers to their questions. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post