SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 Stainless Elite

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Stainless Elite Login/Join 
posted
Just purchased a new Sig P226 Stainless Elite with the short reset trigger. Compared to my other Sigs without the short reset trigger, this gun has very noticeable trigger creep in single action. NIce trigger pull but the creep concerns me. anybody else notice this? Is this common to the Short reset trigger.

Posts: 265 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's interesting.

I have three P226's and the other night I saw a P226 Legion DA/SA at the gun store and asked to handle it since I keep reading about the fantastic trigger.

I was amazed at how creepy the trigger felt in SA compared to mine. Not necessarily saying it was good or bad, just different from any of mine.

Mine do not have SRT installed.

I'm pretty sure that the SRT uses a different sear.

Posts: 1079 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gundog55:
Is this common to the Short reset trigger.

That has been reported since its introduction.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 35843 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
But, a good trigger and action job can remove the creep and reduce SA trigger pull as well.

As to trigger feel, the pre-MIM guns have an advantage I think, so when updating those with a SRT kit, which has a MIM sear, it's a crap shoot as to how it'll feel compared to the removed sear - I've had a few as good as the old trigger feel, but a few worse. Fixable though - a Power Custom Series 2 jig works wonders Smile

Posts: 1100 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nipper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by gundog55:
Is this common to the Short reset trigger.

That has been reported since its introduction.

Yep. My own experience as well. Bought a new P226R in 2010 which had the SRT factory installed. Noticeable creep compared to my other non-SRT Sigs.

Good news is it doesn't really make any difference, at least in defensive style shooting. When the trigger is manipulated in a normal fashion, you don't even notice it. Problem is when people SLOWLY dry-fire or play with the trigger off the range. Then shooters reel in horror at THE CREEP.

I do all my own action work, which consists of basic polishing and attention to any "hot spots". Will also drop down to a SLIGHTLY lighter mainspring (hammer spring). Helped the SA creep on the P226R a little. Other than light Flitz polishing, I don't mess with the hammer/sear engaging surfaces.

Bottom line - what you are experiencing is not abnormal. All that matters is how well the gun shoots for you. If your gun meets your accuracy standards for the type of shooting you do, I wouldn't waste any money on changing it. Trigger fundamentals are more important than trigger mechanics (within reason).

Posts: 3398 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Nipper's reply. The advantages of the SRT will be evident in the type of shooting the P226 is designed for. But, as a old NRA bullseye shooting competitor and used to match grade 1911's etc I found the added creep a bit different. Also as a retired LEO and having several Sigs without the SRT, I did feel a difference when first shooting this gun to check for zero, which of course was performed while slow shooting. No doubt in the type of shooting I now do, the SRT will be of benefit and the bit more creep will never be noticed. I will add that this trigger is very smooth and light in S/A and D/A. Since I have already dropped down slightly to a lighter hammer spring. I suspect as this gun wears in it will improve more without the need to polish, not sure I would even notice any perceptible difference since it is good as is now.

Posts: 265 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a SS Elite several months ago and this one doesn't creep. I guess I just got lucky.

PS I added the Grayguns after market trigger and dropped the hammer spring tension a couple of pounds. The resulting combination compares very favorably to one of their competition trigger jobs. Not bad for a total investment of about $70.

Posts: 92 | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience was the opposite.

I bought a new P220 DA/SA a year ago which did not come with the SRT. The SA trigger pull was 5 lb. 7 oz. , and was horrible, with lots of creep. After I installed the SRT kit, the SA trigger pull became 4 lb. 6 oz., and really nice.

Both the original and SRT sears were MIM.

Posts: 52 | Registered: November 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post