Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Login/Join 
Picture of the Hudge
posted
I'm talking about the kind that after you have used oil and 0000 steel wool and even a brass brush, there is still raised (200 grit'ish) sandpaper like patches.
Can it be scraped off? I'd like to do the work myself. It ain't got to be perfect, it's just gotta be better than it is.
This is on an S&W revolver side plate, Along with other exterior parts of the gun.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would try scraping it with copper. Use either a one cent coin dated 1981 or earlier, or a piece cut (sawn) from a copper sheet found at a good hardware store or a place that specializes in hobbies.

In my experience scraping with copper removes the rust pretty well without damaging the steel. It will, of course, have no effect on any pitting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
After what you have already done, what is left are probably pits that won't scrape off. I'm afraid that the damage is permanent.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If it's "raised" it isn't pitting. The pitting is under the stuff you'll scrape off. The copper penny scraper trick has worked for me. Put a couple of drops of oil on the rusted area first.

I've also seen a flattened brass cartridge case used. The copper is softer and less likely to damage adjacent blued surfaces.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I tried a flattened brass case and it worked great. I'll try a pre'81 penny too.

Thank you very much for the direction.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
If there are rust pits, then it's a good idea to use dilute phosphoric acid to convert the iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate. Stopping the rust below the surface.

You can get Jasco Metal prep or metal etch at Home Depot etc.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post