SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Remington 1100 410 not ejecting hulls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1100 410 not ejecting hulls Login/Join 
Picture of mossyoak1
posted
I bought a really nice 410 for $400 and brought it home and it will not eject the hulls. I have done the obvious of breaking it down and giving it a good cleaning, and I also replaced the rubber o ring and still have the same issue. The thing that is a bit odd to me was when I shoot the gun the hull does not eject but when I pull the trigger again, I feel and hear the hammer strike the primer. So I tore it down again and removed the extractor and spring and I felt a slight burr on the extractor, so I gently filed it off and reassembled. Same outcome as before.

Anybody have any other thoughts that I could do or replace?

Thanks

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 471 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ejector intact?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, I can even read the 410 stamped on it.

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I presume you cleaned the gas ports. If the action is cycling enough to re-cock the hammer but not far enough to eject, something is keeping the action from cycling fully to the rear. In addition to the gas O-ring, there are two gas piston rings which have a split in them. Those rings must be properly oriented and rotated so the splits are not aligned with one another. Those guns are also a little finicky about ammo, what are you shooting in it? I once had one that didn't like anything but Winchester AA. If the ejector and ejector spring are good, and the extractor is good, it has to be a gas system problem or lastly an action spring problem, which is unlikely.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I presume you cleaned the gas ports. If the action is cycling enough to re-cock the hammer but not far enough to eject, something is keeping the action from cycling fully to the rear. In addition to the gas O-ring, there are two gas piston rings which have a split in them. Those rings must be properly oriented and rotated so the splits are not aligned with one another. Those guns are also a little finicky about ammo, what are you shooting in it? I once had one that didn't like anything but Winchester AA. If the ejector and ejector spring are good, and the extractor is good, it has to be a gas system problem or lastly an action spring problem, which is unlikely.

That was my thinking as well. When I re-assembled it, I made sure the gas pistons were at the 3 o'clock position and the other at the 9 o'clock position. I tried 3 different kinds of ammo. Winchester and Remington, both 2.5 inch. The 3rd ammo was my reloads with 2400 Alliant powder. I started to tear down the action spring but I don't have the correct tool or a big enough flat head to break it free. I didn't want to take it to a gunsmith and have the ports bored bigger since there was enough gas to cock the hammer. I went threw the gun thinking there was a burr somewhere within the slide action aspect of it, but since I didn't cut my finger on anything I thought that was good. I couldn't find any mis-aligned parts that were bent or crooked, nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know if I should start throwing parts at it even though I can't find anything obvious.

For now, I just have a single shot automatic.

posted Hide Post
Will it eject manually?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Try 3” shells?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Will it eject manually?

Yes I can eject them manually.

I did try 3" but the hull is too big to eject them. Some factory 3" will lock the bolt back and the same shells won't lock the bolt back. Since that happens, I thought about upping my powder load to see if I can get the 2.5" to eject.

posted Hide Post
I would run abrasive pipe cleaners through the gas ports. I would remove the stock and make sure the recoil spring isn't messed up somehow. I might also replace the extractor spring, maybe even the extractor as that could be a contributor. Beyond that, I got nothing.

Good luck, and if you get this sorted out please let us know.

Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
That's a good point.. I just stuck a tooth pick up both of them to make sure they were clear.

I get the right tool for the recoil spring to get that off and I will sure keep everyone posted.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had bought a new 1100 in 28 gauge 10 years ago for his wife who had arthritis for trap shooting. They sent it back to Remington 2 or 3 times before selling it as it had the same problem. Maybe try a lighter recoil spring as the 410 doesn't have enough power to cycle the bolt the entire way.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
A friend of mine had bought a new 1100 in 28 gauge 10 years ago for his wife who had arthritis for trap shooting. They sent it back to Remington 2 or 3 times before selling it as it had the same problem. Maybe try a lighter recoil spring as the 410 doesn't have enough power to cycle the bolt the entire way.

It is either that or bump up my reloads a bit.

I was able to get the stock off and took out the recoil spring and it was not broke or kinked or anything wrong with it (which I was hoping there would have been) I cleaned it up real good and put a light coating of grease on it and reassembled. Just finished shooting it, and the bolt went all the way back but did not eject the hull and I was able to pull the trigger again with the hammer striking. I manually ejected the hull and saw the end of the hull crushed from going back into barrel. This leads me to believe it is the extractor or extractor spring.

Does that sound reasonable?

posted Hide Post
Personally I think the 1100 simply was designed to be a 12 gauge gun and with 20 gauge it's still reliable, but below that they've tried to make the same package work with 28 gauge and 410, but the moving parts are simply have too much mass for the energy of 28 and 410.

What does the extracter do if you hand cycle rounds through it by pulling the bolt back all of the way? It sounds like the extracter is hanging onto the shell fine (due to it being re-inserted in the barrel), but the bolt isn't coming back far or hard enough to hit the ejecter. Personally I'm leaning towards ammo not having enough power. What I would do is get 10-20 rounds of several brands of the strongest 00 buck you can find and see if it cycles any of those. If it does, then perhaps a lighter recoil spring would probably be the answer.

Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
SOLVED!!!!!

I drilled out the gas ports, works like a charm now. I thought to myself, why throw parts at it, set it up on my drill press and bored them out. Seems like that's what a lot of people are doing so they are not "finiky" (?) Works great now.
Thanks for everyone's feedback

posted Hide Post
Great! Did you drill oversize or just use the drill to clean the ports?

Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
Slightly oversized it, really just enough to get the drill bit to bite and have a some shavings. Lots of WD-40 and very slow since I was paranoid of breaking the bit in the port.

I'm not going to lie, I was sweating and trying to not shake..

posted Hide Post
Glad to see you found a solution. Sucks that Remington didn't do that in the first place.

Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Glad to see you found a solution. Sucks that Remington didn't do that in the first place.

Yeah, it's the same company that filed for bankruptcy isn't it? Roll Eyes