SIGforum
32 acp Colt 1903 Hammerless Slam fires

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/1700070524

May 31, 2017, 09:04 PM
Sunset_Va
32 acp Colt 1903 Hammerless Slam fires
I posted this over at the 1911 forums, also seeking some advice here on this problem

Hello all
Old family pistol, I worked on years ago, but had a pitted bore.
I sandblasted all the parts with the exception of the hammer, sear, and main spring, which I had hard chromed. I filled the pitted areas in with JB Weld, sanded and coated with Norrells Moly Resin.

I ordered a new barrel from Gun Parts Corp/Numrich Arms, which I received today. Tinkered with the barrel , it fit snug but worked, so I went to test fire the pistol.

There were many rounds going off when the slide cycled without me pulling the trigger, when the slide went into battery, even when I retracted the slide, one round fired. I was in a isolated area on my property, after one magazine, called it quits. Just glad I did this at my shooting area instead of near home. My confidence in this little pistol left after this happening.

Aside from replacing all the fire control parts, what should I look for in the cause of the problem? Disconnector? Sear? The firing pin is working properly, not stuck or hanging.

If it had been a feeding or ejection problem, I think I could have corrected that, but a slam fire or accidental firing is dangerous.

And being a concealed hammer, little bit harder to diagnose.

I realize this does not pertain to Sigs, perhaps some members have had experience with this little pistol.

Any advice or input on a fix would be appreciated.

美しい犬
May 31, 2017, 09:47 PM
GaryBF
Weak firing pin spring... or broken?
May 31, 2017, 10:27 PM
Sunset_Va
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Weak firing pin spring... or broken?

No, the two piece firing pin is floating correctly when I checked it after I got home and dissassembled the pistol.

My version does not have the half cock notch in the hammer.

美しい犬
June 01, 2017, 07:14 AM
arfmel
Did it work properly before you started fixing it up?

I'd guess the refinish job on the hammer and sear somehow reduced the amount of engagement and/or altered the engagement angle of the two parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,
June 03, 2017, 03:35 PM
YooperSigs
I would be looking at the sear / hammer too. Especially given the age of the gun. Lots of wear over the years, possibly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 27, 2017, 10:10 PM
TooTech
When you hand cycle the slide does the hammer catch? Does it go "click" on an empty chamber, or is the trigger dead?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater
July 29, 2017, 03:10 PM
arfmel
Don't get your hopes up that OP will respond-this thread is nearly 2 months old and he hasn't been back.
August 19, 2017, 01:42 PM
robertrwalsh
The only time this happened to me with one of these it was caused by a burr on the firing pin and some crap in the firing pin channel. Seems like this is probably not your problem. Would guess sear issue or maybe a problem with the interface between the trigger and hammer, wear or damage to the engagement surfaces.