SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Attended; thanks.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attended; thanks. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m attending the factory class next week. The course instructions say to bring eye protection and a small flashlight. I assume all the minimum necessary tools are provided, but I’m curious if there are any other items that attendees wish they’d had to make things easier or more convenient.

Thanks for all replies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
When I attended years ago in Smyrna, GA you got a mat and "Glock Diassembly" tool. Remember you can take down a Glock with a ball point pen in a pinch.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When I attended the course in Ga 2 years ago I got a mat and disassembly tool and did not feel under equipped. They sell a tool kit as well-my sidekick bought the kit but didnt use it in the course. I find a hook tool useful for dealing with the mag release spring and the Glock magazine disassembly gadget to be useful. Also don't forget to bring a black towel to cover the Glock so you don't have to look at it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Whenever I take a firearm apart, I like to put small parts straight into a magnetic parts tray.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended several years ago and brought nothing but a notebook and a pen. A small flat bladed screw driver makes it much easier to remove the magazine release spring but I did not use it in the course.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Have attended a Sig Sauer Armorer class with you, I will suggest you bring a pillow or a good book.

You're going to be bored.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
You're going to be bored.

Big Grin

Every time I see one of your posts I remember that we were in the same class.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There isn't much needed, the Glock punch tool is about all you need, and they provided that when I took the class.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I did a refresh on my Glock armorer course a in October. I brought both the eye protection and the small flashlight just like the flyer said. Neither were necessary. We were unofficially told it was up to us to wear the eye protection and the flashlight was never used.

Our class was one of the first few times the instructor had taught the Gen 5 info and it added a lot of time. We cut our lunch down to like 15 minutes to get out of there on time.

A notebook and pen are handy since any notes taken could be used on the final test.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if its the official course you will not need anything. period.
Except as noted to leave your brain at home.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, after yesterday now I are one.

The tools and even a mat and small parts tray were provided, but now I know (based on the final exam and our practical efforts) that an armorer officially needs three tools to work on Glock pistols. What surprised me the most was the fact that the course spent a significant amount of time discussing the many models and older generations.

Again, thanks for the comments.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Did Dennis Tueller teach it?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Did Dennis Tueller teach it?

Yes. I assume it was the same Dennis Tueller of the “Tueller drill” (7 yards and all that) fame, but it wasn’t mentioned in class. I wondered how many of the group would have even been aware of the connection.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
The same. I should have had you ask him to tell his Sven Svenson, WWII pilot story. Hilarious.

He taught my Glock armorer class and I also attended a pistol class when he worked for Action Target. Great instructor.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, he is a good instructor. The last three SIG armorer classes I attended could have used someone more like him.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
No kidding... all my SIG Armorer classes have had poor instructors...one was just plain terrible...

By comparison, the Glock instructors were all very good indeed... and they included lunch... Wink

V/r

Chuck

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Yes, he is a good instructor. The last three SIG armorer classes I attended could have used someone more like him.

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post