SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    German Sig P220 Trigger issue/question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German Sig P220 Trigger issue/question Login/Join 
posted
I was able to pick up a West German P220. The trigger is acting odd. When the hammer is cocked I can pull the trigger slightly I can lower the hammer slowly with the trigger. If I pull the trigger fully there is a noticeable bump then the hammer falls. Is this a malfunction or some unique trigger set up? My other Sigs do not do this. I am trying to figure out how to post a video. \

Cheers

[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 13 | Registered: October 25, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
If you are saying that with the hammer cocked a slight pull on the trigger allows the hammer to slowly lower then you definitely have a problem.

When you say you pull the trigger fully is this with the hammer cocked and then there is a felt bump in the trigger as the hammer falls - OR - are you saying that the hammer is down and you pull the trigger, cocking the hammer, and then it drops?

Also, what variant of the P220 do you have? I am assuming a DA/SA double action/single action.

Thanks

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdavis:
If you are saying that with the hammer cocked a slight pull on the trigger allows the hammer to slowly lower then you definitely have a problem.

When you say you pull the trigger fully is this with the hammer cocked and then there is a felt bump in the trigger as the hammer falls - OR - are you saying that the hammer is down and you pull the trigger, cocking the hammer, and then it drops?

Also, what variant of the P220 do you have? I am assuming a DA/SA double action/single action.

Thanks

Exnicios, welcome aboard. bdavis' post details my exact questions based upon my understanding of your question. If you would please give us a more detailed description of the problem, or ideally post a video, I'm certain one of us could shed some light on the situation. In addition to the action variant (DA/SA, DAO & etc.), could you please indicate the proof date and/or serial number range of your pistol? Thanks!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the videos
https://youtu.be/ExvHgVs6lM4
https://youtu.be/BVU3diFPizo

and yes it is DA/SA

Seiel Number G 171545

Proof Mark KA

NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Your 220 is definitey NOT supposed to do that. It should de-cock only with the de-cocking lever on the left side. Remove the right side grip panel and see if your hammer is catching on the trigger bar (my hunch). Take careful notice of the trigger bar spring, so in case it comes off you can correctly replace it.
Holding the trigger bar spring in position, as if the grip was in place, cycle the trigger to see what it is catching on.Watching the inter-relation of the parts as they work will give you a clear understanding of what is happening. As you see the hammer, sear and trigger bar work together you should be able to see what is catching on what.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the excellent videos. Let me first say I don't believe this to be normal operation of the P220 trigger/hammer in SA (hammer cocked) mode. I've owned a number of P220 pistols and have never experienced anything similar. My initial hunch is a problem with the hammer/sear engagement which allows the trigger to manipulate the sear in such a way as to allow lowering of the hammer before the sear breaks. Visualize in DA (hammer down) mode using the trigger to slightly cock and then lower the hammer before allowing the sear to break. In SA mode however, the slightest reward pressure upon the trigger (as demonstrated in your video) should cause the hammer to fall. I recommend a service call to SIG or at the very least a trip to a component gunsmith and/or SIG armorer.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the grips off and did a thorough cleaning. It now does it every 3 or 4 trigger pulls. I check the springs and made sure everything was put together correctly (I hope). I did call Sig and i am sending it in for them to assess. My "good deal" may not be such a good deal after all. But I'm still a happy Sig Shooter with a new to me Sig.

Member!
posted Hide Post
I would bet that either the pin the hammer rides on is not far enough to the right side (or worn) or that the trigger bar has been modified or is simply bad/worn, or that there is some odd interference from the handle grip on the right side. There's a rear 90 bend "hook" on the end of the trigger bar that engages a slot/hook on the hammer for double action pull of the hammer. In single action mode (hammer cocked back already) there is a ramp right above the hook on the trigger bar that rides on the bottom side of hammer pin. I'm using the hammer pin a reference point since it's easiest to make out in the following picture. As the trigger bar moves forward from relative to the amount the trigger is moved, the ramp on top of the trigger bar is supposed to ride on the bottom of the hammer pin and push the trigger bar "down" so the trigger bar hook does not engage the hammer slot/hook but the sear release bump still connects against the sear. When the sear finally trips, the hammer drops, but because the trigger bar is supposed to be pushed down a little by the hammer pin, the slot/hook on the hammer misses the hook on the trigger bar as it rotates past.

For your trigger to be following the hammer's movement after using the trigger in SA mode means that the trigger bar hook is engaging the hammer slot/hook, when it's not supposed to be.

Here is a picture of a cocked Sig P6 I found on the internet which operates and looks internally exactly the same as your P220:

Something is going on where the trigger bar rides against the bottom of hammer pin to move trigger bar down, or the sear is tripping to late/early (the top square part of trigger bar pushing against sear release that is shown about 1/2 inch to the right of hammer pin in picture). Could be interference from the grip or simply a really worn trigger bar.

In "double action", you should be able to slowly cock and drop the hammer as long as you don't pull the trigger all the way back. At that point, the trigger bar's "hook" slips off the slot/hook on the hammer and it falls. In single action, the trigger bar hook (the bend in the trigger bar, right below the hammer pin) should not be catching/touching the hammer slot/hook like yours is doing.

Your video's audible trigger clicks indicate to me that your sear is tripping but then the hammer is catching on the trigger bar hook (when it should be missing because at that point of the trigger's position, the trigger bar should be pushed down and missing the hammer's slot/hook). Even when the hammer falls, I hear a second click as it seems to catch a little on the trigger bar hook. I can also see the hammer fall just a tiny bit initially then stop, which means it's catching on something, and the only thing to catch on is the trigger bar hook.

1st thing I would try is removing the right grip,pulling the trigger in SA mode, and see if the problem still exists. If the problem goes away without the grip panel on, then there is something in the grip interfering with the trigger bar spring or trigger bar's motion.

If it continues to happens with the grips off, then I'd try pushing the hammer pin towards the right side a little more to ensure enough is sticking out to engage the ramp properly on the trigger bar. Or at least the trigger bar is riding on a different spot on the pin. Maybe try putting the pin in the opposite direction if one side has some sort of worn or damaged area. The hammer pin is only held in position by the grips and friction. If there is not enough sticking out on right side because it might have drifted towards the left side, the trigger bar can slip over the end of the pin and cause SA problems as you are experiencing.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post