SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stuck Magazine release button
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck Magazine release button Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
Going to order the parts as the mag release button is getting stuck at times. Are there several springs/parts I should be ordering while in there and is it difficult to do?

Thanks in advance.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about a P series Sig, then it's doable. I did it a few times and the only time I remember having had any difficulty was when I sweated into the release on a P229 and it rusted in place. That wasn't a fun "tear apart and clean it" session. The retention plate on the opposite side had rusted pretty solidly in place and I gouged it up pretty good when I removed it. When I got that off, I found that the plunger had also rusted in place. I think I went at it with Rem-oil and a tiny screwdriver. I have since discovered Kroil, and would now instead hose it down and let it sit a few days before attempting disassembly.

The video I'm embedding walks you through it, and as you can see, it's not that bad. But if it's stuck because it's rusted shut, it becomes a pain. Replacement springs wouldn't be a bad idea if that's the case.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you remove the magazine catch, absolutely, positively, without fail do not put the magazine catch stop back in upside down. If you do that anyway (it will jam the catch in the release position), absolutely, positively, for certain, without fail, to not try to correct the problem by driving the catch out from the support plate side.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Have you tried cleaning and lubricating first?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the lack of details.
AB ser# P229. Yes, I cleaned and lubricated twice already. Thank you. I just might send it to sig for their overall service.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post