SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Rear sight on p220-10 loose in dovetail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear sight on p220-10 loose in dovetail Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
My p220-10 Elite Stainless with adjustable rear sight is loose in the dovetail. The rear of the sight deflects as much as 1/16 inch and I can see it rock in the dovetail. Is there a set screw under the sight body or is the tension just from the dovetail?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
My p220-10 Elite Stainless with adjustable rear sight is loose in the dovetail. The rear of the sight deflects as much as 1/16 inch and I can see it rock in the dovetail. Is there a set screw under the sight body or is the tension just from the dovetail?

There is a set screw. When you remove the sight completely, you will also see that the firing pin safety housing is bored all the way through, so that spring also helps hold the rear sight by pushing upward.

The set screw on mine was not secured properly. I had read about this happening to some guns, so I ordered new set screws ahead of time, to have on hand. The size is M3 x 0.5 x 3. I got them from McMaster Carr, in pkgs of 25, so I have plenty left over. I bought three types, a pointed tip, cupped tip, and rounded tip. I decided on using the pointed tip, and I used the screw point itself to mark the location in the dovetail, then drilled a tiny indentation into the dovetail, used red loctite on the screw and remounted the sight. It has been fine since.

If you want to email me your address, I will send you a couple of each type of set screw.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

There is a set screw. When you remove the sight completely, you will also see that the firing pin safety housing is bored all the way through, so that spring also helps hold the rear sight by pushing upward.

The set screw on mine was not secured properly. I had read about this happening to some guns, so I ordered new set screws ahead of time, to have on hand. The size is M3 x 0.5 x 3. I got them from McMaster Carr, in pkgs of 25, so I have plenty left over. I bought three types, a pointed tip, cupped tip, and rounded tip. I decided on using the pointed tip, and I used the screw point itself to mark the location in the dovetail, then drilled a tiny indentation into the dovetail, used red loctite on the screw and remounted the sight. It has been fine since.

If you want to email me your address, I will send you a couple of each type of set screw.

Yes this is exactly what is going on with this sight. Please do send screws-I am emailing you my address. Thanks a million

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Got the screws and problem solved! Thank you Henry!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer, I got a Kryptec 10mm this weekend, and 100 rounds in, it was loose!! :-)

Posts: 162 | Registered: August 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only on the SigForum... Big Grin

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post