SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stripped grip screw P239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stripped grip screw P239 Login/Join 
posted
So I had to have some nice hogue stainless grip screws, steel screws in an alluminum frame not such a good idea. I have stripped out the screw hole on the left side, any idea's about how I can fix this and if so do you have a list of parts. Located in The Villages Fl., could someone suggest a good gunsmith.
Thank you in advance.

Posts: 263 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone with any idea how to fix this?

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
Who has grip screw trouble?

I will need a mailing address. I think flhr95 has been fixed -

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use this for my robotics kids (lots of button head hex screws in high school robotics) with some success: https://www.amazon.com/Damaged...ipped/dp/B07XG6HQT3/

You basically use one end to drill out a clean hole and the other grabs into the metal and starts to work it out.

That said, at least 50% of the time when we get to a stripped screw, they have worked it over so well that we need to take a dremel with a cutoff wheel, slot the head and remove it with a straight screwdriver. This would almost certainly destroy your grip plates though.

Posts: 279 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HeliCoil 4mm x 0.7mm kit. You can find them on ebay for~$20. You use the drill to open up the stripped hole, tap it, then thread in the stainless steel inserts with Loctite red. Let it sit overnight. I'd go ahead & do all 4, while you're at it.

Most professional fix.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^There you go. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tp1l:
We use this for my robotics kids (lots of button head hex screws in high school robotics) with some success: https://www.amazon.com/Damaged...ipped/dp/B07XG6HQT3/

You basically use one end to drill out a clean hole and the other grabs into the metal and starts to work it out.

That said, at least 50% of the time when we get to a stripped screw, they have worked it over so well that we need to take a dremel with a cutoff wheel, slot the head and remove it with a straight screwdriver. This would almost certainly destroy your grip plates though.
Yeah, I don't think that he has a broken screw, he has "stripped out the screw hole". You don't use a screw extractor for that.

Helicoil, that's the ticket. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, I've heard the suggestion about a threaded insert before.

Does anyone make a threaded insert (ie, HELICOIL) that is thin enough for a typical pistol frame which won't interfere with grips or the magazine?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll have to trim pretty much any insert down, depending on the thickness of the frame. Nature of the beast, if you only have 3-5 threads in the frame, that's all you'll be able to tap in.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They installed 1911 style bushings for me at the gunsmith.

Posts: 263 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post