SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P239 Slide Rattle Fix??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 Slide Rattle Fix?? Login/Join 
posted
Is there any fix to the slide rattle on P239's?

I love the pistol, but hate the rattle.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Some have it, some don't. I had six P239 pistols at one time, three da-sa and three DAK. All calibers represented. Two rattled. Nothing significant about their production dates compared to the others.

The "rattle" didn't bother me...but I quit shaking the pistols just to hear it. The two functioned just fine. You might try using grease if you're currently using oil.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Gen 2 SAS is exceptionally loose. Still runs flawlessly and seems to maintain accuracy. I am thinking about sending it to the Sig Armorer for a Carry Action upgrade, but thought I would ask the forum here if there was a rattle fix first, because it bothers me more than the trigger.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As long as there is no play between the slide and barrel, don’t sweat it; accuracy won’t be affected. Agree on grease vs. oil, if you’re not already using it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Is there any fix to the slide rattle on P239's?

No.
Well ..., maybe not.
Years ago I asked Grayguns if they could tighten up the slide of a P229. The answer was perhaps yes, but perhaps the process would destroy the slide.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slide "rattle" on semi-auto pistols is usually a psychological issue rather than a mechanical issue. Razz

If it REALLY bothers the shooter, slides can be tightened to more closely fit the frame rails. Old-time gunsmiths used to do this on bullseye .45's, and later on other competition pistols used in IPSC. It added to the perception that the highly modified pistol ($$$) had been made as intrinsically accurate as humanly possible.

According to Bill Wilson's 1988 book "The Combat .45 Automatic", slide tightness contributes to about a 5% intrinsic accuracy improvement. In other words, poop. Thus, a 2" group at 25-yards would be one-tenth of an inch smaller with the 5% "improvement". Given Sigfreund's post re GrayGuns advice, there is a risk involved depending on the specific slide characteristics and the degree of tightening involved.

If a shooter finds the "rattle" severely unacceptable or aesthetically displeasing, either buy a different pistol that doesn't rattle or have the slide tightened. It's a free country. Don't, however, expect any meaningful improvement in intrinsic accuracy.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you could experiment and find the thickest grease that would still allow the pistol to function reliably

And if that grease would then also calm the rattle just a bit....

Slide glide comes in three thicknesses I think.

Edited to add: just went to slide glide website and it says "heavy" (thickest version) is for slides that are looser...(and hot weather). Worth a try.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is simply a personal preference fit & finish issue for me. Perceived quality, if you will. Not looking for accuracy improvement.

Thank you all for the input. Not sure what I might do at this point. I have tolerated it for 6+ years and I have no desire to part ways with this pistol.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Shake maracas, not pistols.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Shake maracas, not pistols.

I just cannot control myself. Frown

posted Hide Post
I could play in a band with my oldest 239 (50K rounds). It has not made any difference to its accuracy or usability. Enjoy the best of the last metal single stacks.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one that sounds like a baby rattle, it still blows out the center of the bullseye if I do my part.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Yes, this is simply a personal preference fit & finish issue for me. Perceived quality, if you will. Not looking for accuracy improvement.

Thank you all for the input. Not sure what I might do at this point. I have tolerated it for 6+ years and I have no desire to part ways with this pistol.

It's a service pistol, it is loose so that it functions in a variety of real world conditions. It is not a bullseye pistol where having a super tight slide fit would benefit you enough to worry about it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
People freak out about their pistols rattling similar to those who freak out about their AR15 upper-lower flopping. Razz

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. In the words of the Immortal Philosopher: "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I had a P225A that rattled like a spray can and ran across a recommendation for Eno's slide glide. It is a high temp thick grease that worked wonders. You can order it from Amazon. It is a small tub but it lasts a long time. Give it a try - it won't rattle after that.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post