SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig P229C Reduced Power Hammer Spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229C Reduced Power Hammer Spring Login/Join 
posted
I am lucky to have a new Sig P229C in 9mm. What a great gun! However, I would like to reduce the trigger pull just a bit say 8-7.5 lbs DA, but I can't find a replacement reduced power hammer spring on the market. Does anyone know where to buy one?

"FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A TASTE THAT THE PROTECTED WILL
NEVER KNOW"

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wolff Springs

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah.
https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...229/cID1/mID4/dID253

The P229C has the same grip as standard P229's. Hence, it will use the same hammer strut assembly and main spring (hammer spring).

Buy the "RP HAMMER SPRING PAK" with 17, 18 and 19# springs. The 19# is a safe bet regarding reliable ignition. I use the 18# on my P229 and P226 with reliable ignition. I've played with 17# but don't like the slightly funky DA and too light SA that results.

Don't forget that when you lighten the DA, the SA also becomes lighter. However, test whatever you use with SD ammo. Every gun is different.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I've checked with them, but the Sig P229 "C" is a limited run 229 hybrid it has a 224 short slide and a quasi 229/224 frame holding 15 rounds but using a 224 hammer strut and hammer main spring, that’s why I’ve been having trouble finding parts. The forum was my logical resort … It seems no one produces custom parts or springs for them ewww no so good. Well it works great stock! Thanks again.

NEVER KNOW"

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look on Gray Guns website at their ad for the P-Series Master Series Spring Set.

Those springs are supposed to cover just about all of the classic series models. The P224 is even included in that list. Included in that package is a hammer spring.

I had ordered a pack of 10 19# hammer springs from Wolff Springs and have installed some of them in a few P229s AND my P224 chambered in .40s&w.

I haven't had ANY issues at all.
I have to admit that I haven't fired more than a few hundred rounds in any of my guns though.

The ones I installed for my buddy has also worked perfectly.
He, on the other hand, has fired at least a 1,000 rounds through his P229 without any issue.

I'll go ahead and install one in my P229c and see how it works out.

It may take awhile to get back to you with the results though.
This cloudy, winter weather is exacerbating my chronic migraine condition....

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nipper, unfortunately the 229C does not use the standard 229 frame its a hybrid more like a full size 224 frame with a short hammer strut and short spring. I am now on the hunt for a custom spring company ... so we'll see what happens

NEVER KNOW"

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am now on the hunt for a custom spring company ... so we'll see what happens

Before that, why not buy the Wolff spring kit and shorten one of the springs with a Dremel tool. The Wolff spring kit is not very expensive, so you can't lose anything by trying.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
I am now on the hunt for a custom spring company ... so we'll see what happens

Before that, why not buy the Wolff spring kit and shorten one of the springs with a Dremel tool. The Wolff spring kit is not very expensive, so you can't lose anything by trying.

^^ this.

Also, if you can using a bench grinder to shorten the spring - this works well if you want the spring end flat ground, as you can push a bit harder on the spring when grinding off a turn so the metal frictions heats to red, this will remove temper on part of the last coil turn to allow closing the end, more or less.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good I'll try it and let you know Thanks

NEVER KNOW"

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! I have a 229C on my bench at the Secret Volcano Base shop, and I'm going through the same process of "what the heck is this?" that y'all are. Please call or email me next week when I'm back in my lair. Hopefully can come up with something.

bruce@grayguns.com
541-468-3840

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
So I took a Wolff #17 spring for P229 and use a dremel to cut it down to the same length as a P229C's original hammer spring, uncompressed, measured by a caliper. Installed it and it measured within 5oz of my P229EE and P229BTF with the same spring, albeit at unaltered length. The DA pull was noticeably lighter, and when I took it to the range today and fed it 100rds of Freedom Munition 124gr FMJ, 100rd of Federal Premium 124gr FMH, and 17rd of Hydra Shok 124gr; the P229C chewed them all up with impressive accuracy and soft recoil; no failures of any kind, and primer strikes were all solid. I think this works!

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post