SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Can anyone explain the Pistol vs SBR vs other
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone explain the Pistol vs SBR vs other Login/Join 
posted
I’ve tried searching the forum and can’t find anything defining the difference between a pistol vs SBR. If there is a preexisting thread, please shoot me in the right direction.

My confusion is that I’ve found conflicting info about what is and isn’t a pistol (specifically an ar pistol). Some say arm braces are good to go others say they are a no go. I’ve found the same confusion with vertical foregrips and OAL.

I found a flowchart that was pretty easy to read but was from 2015 so I’m afraid the info is outdated.

So what’s the official verdict!?

Thanks in advance!

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
16" plus barrel with a stock is a rifle.

Less than 16" barrel with a stock is an SBR. SBRs need tax stamp.

Less than 16" barrel with a brace or buffer tube is a pistol. Pistols do not need tax stamp.

Less than 16" barrel with an over-all length of at least 26" and a vertical foregrip is a "firearm" and is legal as long as its not concealed. Without the VFG its just a pistol.

Less than 16" barrel with OAL less than 26" cant have a VFG on it unless its a registered SBR.

The go/no-go on the brace thing is whether or not you can shoulder a brace. Thats a back-and-forth thing that ill let someone else explain better. But for the sake of my explanation, a brace is not a stock so it doesnt make a pistol an SBR.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Thank you!

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes , thank you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
As stated a brace is not a stock and is not to be intended to use as a stock. But if it "accidentally" ends up in the shoulder while firing you did nothing wrong and are still legal.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Also, a lower that left the factory as a "rifle" can't be converted to a pistol by pulling the stock off and putting a brace on. Once a rifle, always a rifle. If you do this, and put a shorty upper on it, it's an SBR and needs a stamp, even if using a brace.

A lower that left the factory as a "pistol" can be converted to a rifle and back again without penalty.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
How about converting an other to a SBR? Would this just require a $200 tax stamp ?
SB Tactical designed the first pistol brace--good web site for up to date info about pistol brace--and shouldering a pistol brace.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a pistol with vertical foregrip makes a AOW requiring tax stamp and registration. Ie
An AR 15 pistol with a vertical front grip

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adding a stock to a pistol normally results in a sbr requiring registration. Also an other such as the Shockwave would result in a sbs with the addition of a stock

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Also, a lower that left the factory as a "rifle" can't be converted to a pistol by pulling the stock off and putting a brace on. Once a rifle, always a rifle. If you do this, and put a shorty upper on it, it's an SBR and needs a stamp, even if using a brace.

A lower that left the factory as a "pistol" can be converted to a rifle and back again without penalty.

How does that work for stripped lowers?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post