SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Can anyone explain the Pistol vs SBR vs other

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone explain the Pistol vs SBR vs other Login/Join 
posted
I’ve tried searching the forum and can’t find anything defining the difference between a pistol vs SBR. If there is a preexisting thread, please shoot me in the right direction.

My confusion is that I’ve found conflicting info about what is and isn’t a pistol (specifically an ar pistol). Some say arm braces are good to go others say they are a no go. I’ve found the same confusion with vertical foregrips and OAL.

I found a flowchart that was pretty easy to read but was from 2015 so I’m afraid the info is outdated.

So what’s the official verdict!?

Thanks in advance!

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 211 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
16" plus barrel with a stock is a rifle.

Less than 16" barrel with a stock is an SBR. SBRs need tax stamp.

Less than 16" barrel with a brace or buffer tube is a pistol. Pistols do not need tax stamp.

Less than 16" barrel with an over-all length of at least 26" and a vertical foregrip is a "firearm" and is legal as long as its not concealed. Without the VFG its just a pistol.

Less than 16" barrel with OAL less than 26" cant have a VFG on it unless its a registered SBR.

The go/no-go on the brace thing is whether or not you can shoulder a brace. Thats a back-and-forth thing that ill let someone else explain better. But for the sake of my explanation, a brace is not a stock so it doesnt make a pistol an SBR.

☣Biohazard☣

Posts: 6958 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Thank you!

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 211 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bendable
posted Hide Post
yes , thank you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 46842 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post