SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
She would not be allowed into my home unless she removed all medications from her person. Further, were my child to visit her home, I would demand all medications be locked up.

"The Safe Kids report suggests that 95% of unintentional medication overdose visits to emergency rooms are caused by a young child who got into a medicine while a parent or caregiver wasn't looking. "
http://www.webmd.com/children/...e-child-poisoning-us

While CDC found that between 2007-2010 an average of 62 children under 14 died from gunshots, 60,000 children under 5 were hospitalized for drug poisoning. Of these, 864 died of poisoning.
http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/...dex.html#infographic

Clearly, she has be distracted by the gun grabber retoric. When one of her children dies from poisoning (864,) or drowns (983,) or suffocates to death (1,163,) or dies from falls (161,) or dies from burns (391) she may change her mind.

“The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful.”
― H.L. Mencken

Posts: 4086 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
She lives in NY state. Is there really any legal ambiguity about being able to eject someone from her home whom she doesn't want there? She seems to think she is on legal thin ice.

In this regard NYS is much like the rest of the country. If you are on private property and are asked to leave you must comply. If you don't it's tresspassing.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article140.htm

Posts: 4798 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Picture of gmilitano
posted Hide Post
I have a rule that you can't come in my house if you plan to spout liberal bullshit. My 21 year old daughter was told to tell her friends this up front so they didn't make a mistake and come in here spouting shit and force me to throw them out. The wife and I pay for it, we maintain it and the rules are not negotiable.

"Sometimes I wonder if this world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Posts: 3936 | Location: Alabama | Registered: November 11, 2007Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
child-proofed home

Posts: 17565 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
That is her choice, and I respect it. I reserve the right to throw anyone off my property for any reason.... no matter if it is silly or not.

I think she is making a foolish tactical error, and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt her... but it is her property.

That said, if I were acquainted with her, I wouldn't go to her house. I am REQUIRED to be armed off duty. REQUIRED....

So if she feels that strong then I would politely decline any invitation....
\

Required?

So you have to carry 24/7?

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 934 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Report This Post
Picture of MHolland
posted Hide Post
I wonder if she would feel the same way about someone not wanting their kids to be exposed to gay and transgender culture? Would she equally defend their rights to control what THEIR kids are exposed to? Would she support that person having a sign "No gay or trans allowed here", or asking everyone who comes through the door?

Just food for thought.

Posts: 3315 | Location: SC Lowcountry | Registered: January 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of MHolland
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
She would not be allowed into my home unless she removed all medications from her person. Further, were my child to visit her home, I would demand all medications be locked up.

"The Safe Kids report suggests that 95% of unintentional medication overdose visits to emergency rooms are caused by a young child who got into a medicine while a parent or caregiver wasn't looking. "
http://www.webmd.com/children/...e-child-poisoning-us

While CDC found that between 2007-2010 an average of 62 children under 14 died from gunshots, 60,000 children under 5 were hospitalized for drug poisoning. Of these, 864 died of poisoning.
http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/...dex.html#infographic

Clearly, she has be distracted by the gun grabber retoric. When one of her children dies from poisoning (864,) or drowns (983,) or suffocates to death (1,163,) or dies from falls (161,) or dies from burns (391) she may change her mind.

Great post. Thanks for the numbers.

Posts: 3315 | Location: SC Lowcountry | Registered: January 03, 2009Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just don’t carry the gun into my home.

It's her right but she won't know if she doesn't wand/frisk everybody, they open carry or tell them.

This is nothing more than a soft anti-gun hit piece.

Posts: 13059 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Well Kitten, since there are many guns in my home, I guess that means I don't have to worry about a visit from you.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

“I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.” (p261 “The Audacity of Hope") -- Hussein

Posts: 12631 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In Texas, if you take a gun onto private property, and receive effective notice that the owner forbids possession of guns on the property, you must leave or face a trespass misdemeanor charge.

This applies expressly to licensed gun carriers. If you have no LTC, you cannot carry either concealed or openly.

She also is nervous about being in an "altercation" with someone who is armed and refuses to leave. All she has to do is call the cops, gun or no gun.

This being in New York, how prevalent is it to have a carry permit? My impression is not many at all.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 39304 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
These targets make themselves so easy to find... They even publish their names and that they hate guns. Might as well take out an advertisement advising free shit, helpless victims, and the address.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
This being in New York, how prevalent is it to have a carry permit? My impression is not many at all.

In NYC the answer is practically zero as far as LTC is concerned. The rest of NY state is a far different story. Every pistol license is an LTC, although some are issued with restrictions and aren't full carry.

Posts: 4798 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As Icabod posted, 10x more kids drown in pools than die from gunshots. And I am wondering if the "under 14 children" statistic is only accidents or includes suicide and homicide. If it's only truly accidentally "found" guns then it's a small number.

I would be far more concerned about my child (when he was young) going to a friend's house that had a pool. And considering the number of kids killed in car accidents, you should make sure the friend's parent has a good driving record, a vehicle with a good safety rating, and the proper child seats. Considering how much cell phone use - talking AND texting - I see among parents driving their kids around, this should be the #1 concern of any parent when letting their kids' safety be entrusted to another parent.

I wondering if she's making inquiries about pools and driving records and phone/text usage? Somehow I think probably not.

And this is the thing that is strange about people like this. They are more worried about something extremely unlikely, than about things that are much more likely to occur.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
1200 words . . . way too long to win an argument or make a point.
An indication of an insecure and self-centered person?

Someone (famous) wanted any proposal to be one page. 500 words max. The name escapes me, but I like the concept.

Posts: 4960 | Location: Mid-Atlantic Region | Registered: March 24, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Gutpile Charlie
posted Hide Post
The person that wrote that article is a certified whack job. They would never be welcome in my house. I've got zero tolerance for them. To hell with them. Next.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 8903 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
The person that wrote that article is a certified whack job. They would never be welcome in my house. I've got zero tolerance for them. To hell with them. Next.

What do you expect from a guy handled "Gutpile".

Gutpile, you are welcome at the ranch any time.

Smile

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4401 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Report This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I like the way it was in feudal Japan and the Samurai. The left their long sword (long arm) at the door, as did the host, and kept their short sword (sidearm) on them.! I think, despite her attempts to portray herself as "gun friendly", she is super pre-occupied with the thought that someone may be armed around her children. Obviously they weren't raised like I was in that we were taught to not touch them and believed wholeheartedly that if we touched my father's pistols or rifles (which rested in his top shelf of his dresser and in his closet) that our heads would be separated from our necks without delay and mysteriously.
In my home, I teach our daughter properly and always have the ne at arms reach and within my control but not visible. The rest are secured in a safe. I don't allow people in my home that I don't trust so I really don't have to worry about frisking or using some crazy assed metal detector. Most of the folks I associate with carry legally and are fairly like minded. I think little miss who wrote the article needs to do some long, hard thinking or just turn her home into a super max prison. At least she's not against others choosing for their lives and I'll give her that much. It's her home, her choice. I can respect that but like it was said earlier, I don't think they are someone I'm likely to be around.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
These targets make themselves so easy to find... They even publish their names and that they hate guns. Might as well take out an advertisement advising free shit, helpless victims, and the address.

The impression you get from an idiot spouting shit like that is that they actually want to be a victim. They're practically asking for a home invasion.

And if it happened with intruders armed with guns, I bet they'd wish they had guns of their own. Roll Eyes

Edmond

Posts: 7767 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess what? If I visited your home, its none of your business what I have in my pocket! And I wouldn't tell you what I have or don't have!

Posts: 41 | Location: PA | Registered: May 06, 2013Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I wonder if she has told her children that if someone bad breaks in to their home and threatens violence against them, mom and dad have no plan to defend the children. We will have to allow the bad people to do whatever they want to you. Saying in fact we do not care enough about you to have a plan to immediately defend you.

I wonder if the spineless husband has told his wife, if someone breaks in to our home and is raping you, I have no plan to defend you. I will only be able to watch them do unspeakable acts to you - but I am not man enough to defend you.

Pretty irresponsible to not have a plan to be able to immediately defend the lives of your children, spouse, family and friends in your home.

All my guns have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's car.

Posts: 581 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post