SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home Login/Join 
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I think she should place that "No Weapons Allowed" on her front door, it will make her home much safer. I hope she writes an article after the local thugs see the sign and figure easy target. She can wave her sign at them as they plunder her safe little home. Chris

I seriously wonder how long her front door will be hanging on its hinges if she hangs a sign out on the front yard facing the street that says "This House is a Gun-Free Zone".

I couldn't care less what her house rules are, but stupid isn't strong enough a word to describe somebody who under a real byline writes a piece like that...

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4426 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I think she should place that "No Weapons Allowed" on her front door, it will make her home much safer. I hope she writes an article after the local thugs see the sign and figure easy target. She can wave her sign at them as they plunder her safe little home. Chris

I seriously wonder how long her front door will be hanging on its hinges if she hangs a sign out on the front yard facing the street that says "This House is a Gun-Free Zone".

I couldn't care less what her house rules are, but stupid isn't strong enough a word to describe somebody who under a real byline writes a piece like that...

Ahh, not to worry. After all, the police are only a phone call away... Roll Eyes

Posts: 4677 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I see her point. She wants to know what her rights are as a property owner. And how she would best go about protecting her rights.

As a property owner myself, I expect that nothing illegal will brought onto my property...like drugs. But guns are not illegal, so it's not that easy. She wants to put the burden on the visitor to declare the gun, it seems. That I disagree with.

If she is that opposed to guns in her home, then she needs to get over the awkwardness of coming out and asking folks to leave their guns in the car.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 11841 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
I see her point. She wants to know what her rights are as a property owner. And how she would best go about protecting her rights.

As a property owner myself, I expect that nothing illegal will brought onto my property...like drugs. But guns are not illegal, so it's not that easy. She wants to put the burden on the visitor to declare the gun, it seems. That I disagree with.

If she is that opposed to guns in her home, then she needs to get over the awkwardness of coming out and asking folks to leave their guns in the car.

That is essentially the case, tho to put this up in a public forum {her article} demonstrates a total lack of common sense.

Two phone calls would suffice for the answer if she really has questions about her personal protections involving firearms i her home and their potential misuse; 1} her homeowners insurance provider 2} an attorney.

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.

The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I'd say she knows exactly what she is doing. She wants support for laws that would require gun toters to declare themselves before entering private property.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 11841 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
I'd say she knows exactly what she is doing. She wants support for laws that would require gun toters to declare themselves before entering private property.

Yeah, you are probably. right.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
All of her "community discussion" BS is lib speak for "we need a law" so I think Paragon has nailed it.

She wants it to be illegal to carry on private property without permission, rather than legal, unless properly notified by the property owner otherwise.

The general rule today is that it is trespassing to enter her property without permission, but once you have permission like "come over for a playdate", anything legal that you have or that you do is presumptively ok. She wants to shift that burden by having a "community discussion."

I agree with Monkey. Moonbat.

We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

Posts: 7710 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
the number of Americans with a permit to carry a concealed weapon was a staggering 11.1 million

11.1 million out of a population of 324 million is "staggering?" That's a mere 3.4 percent of the population. Does this woman even understand numbers?

Don't believe everything you think.

Posts: 337 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Ahh, not to worry. After all, the police are only a phone call away... Roll Eyes

And when seconds count, they are only minutes away.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 715 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
the number of Americans with a permit to carry a concealed weapon was a staggering 11.1 million

11.1 million out of a population of 324 million is "staggering?" That's a mere 3.4 percent of the population. Does this woman even understand numbers?

It is staggering, and I am appalled. It should be much higher.

Come on people, what are you waiting for?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 715 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Delusional liberal brought home from safe hospital to gun free safe home. Gun free makes your home unsafe some criminals know how to read and canfind out from her article where her safe home is, good luck. She, her husband and kid are victims in the making.

Proud to be deplorable.

Posts: 680 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I liken this to a visitor coming into my house and starts smoking cigarettes, farting and cussing. That's not illegal either. But it's my home and I expect you to respect my rules. If you don't like it, leave.

I've got guns to clean...

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
All of her "community discussion" BS is lib speak for "we need a law" so I think Paragon has nailed it.

She wants it to be illegal to carry on private property without permission, rather than legal, unless properly notified by the property owner otherwise.

The general rule today is that it is trespassing to enter her property without permission, but once you have permission like "come over for a playdate", anything legal that you have or that you do is presumptively ok. She wants to shift that burden by having a "community discussion."

I agree with Monkey. Moonbat.

And in her classic liberal stupidity.... she says she can put up the sign denying the right to carry on her property but folks may ignore it. So let's have a law making you declare your gun at the door? `Cause nobody would ignore that, too? Dumb safe space liberal hippie douchbaggery

---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 6162 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when my sister had her first child she swore that she would never buy him a toy gun. About 5 years later when I asked her about the purchase of a popgun for both my nephew AND his younger sister she stated that toy guns were a lot safer than her son running around with a sharpened stick yelling "bang". Quite simply, little boys will be little boys and little sisters want whatever toy their big brother is playing with.

So I can understand the concerns of the woman who wrote this article. Leave a handgun or rifle where a child can get to it and bad things can happen, especially if they are boys. Yeah, I'm sexist. So what? The two sexes are different and trying to deny that fact may be politically correct but it's also the epitome of stupid.

So what is the answer. For my mother the answer was to teach her sons how to shoot and how to handle firearms safely. BTW, my Dad pretty much worked from dawn to dusk and I only spent any real time with him on Sundays when I was a kid, so it was my Mom who took up a lot of the slack.

There is also the simply matter that Home Invasions are becoming more common and more violent. If that woman lives in the DC area she may find herself facing a Home Invader who doesn't give a damn about her No Guns policy, he'll take whatever he wants and many will kill everyone present just so there aren't any witnesses. If some knucklehead kicks in my front door the first thing I want him to see is me aiming my 300 Blackout right between his beady eyes.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Those poor children. Sucks having a pansy as a father and a moonbat as a mother.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Endowment)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.

Posts: 15269 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
That is her choice, and I respect it. I reserve the right to throw anyone off my property for any reason.... no matter if it is silly or not.

I think she is making a foolish tactical error, and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt her... but it is her property.

That said, if I were acquainted with her, I wouldn't go to her house. I am REQUIRED to be armed off duty. REQUIRED....

So if she feels that strong then I would politely decline any invitation....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 31284 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
Welcome to the machine
Picture of Mainspring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I remember when my sister had her first child she swore that she would never buy him a toy gun. About 5 years later when I asked her about the purchase of a popgun for both my nephew AND his younger sister she stated that toy guns were a lot safer than her son running around with a sharpened stick yelling "bang". Quite simply, little boys will be little boys and little sisters want whatever toy their big brother is playing with.

One of my mom's friends was a hard-core hippie. Met her husband in the Peace Corps and had a tribal wedding over in some African nation.

Fast forward a bunch of years and they had three kids. All boys. In their highly enlightened household, all weapons were banished. However, the kids became experts at crafting very intricate and well-made facsimiles of various firearms. Some were similar to actual guns, others were copied from sci-fi movies. The parents tried their best, but ultimately were ineffective in preventing their boys from being boys.

Fast forward a few more years and one of their sons was a Marine Scout Sniper who took part in the initial push into Iraq.

Posts: 3058 | Registered: November 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mainspring:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

One of my mom's friends was a hard-core hippie. Met her husband in the Peace Corps and had a tribal wedding over in some African nation.

Fast forward a bunch of years and they had three kids. All boys. In their highly enlightened household, all weapons were banished. However, the kids became experts at crafting very intricate and well-made facsimiles of various firearms. Some were similar to actual guns, others were copied from sci-fi movies. The parents tried their best, but ultimately were ineffective in preventing their boys from being boys.

Fast forward a few more years and one of their sons was a Marine Scout Sniper who took part in the initial push into Iraq.

Letting little boys play with guns is a bad idea. They fake recoil and it is something that must be worked thru later during training. Causes flinch.

Elmer Keith condemned the practice and I agree with him. I got sloppy with my son and let him, and he had to work thru the recoil issue when he started shooting at age 6 or so.

I don't think he'll let his kids play with fake guns. They'll get real ones only, as soon as they can hold them. Under Adult Supervision of course.

I had guns around the ranch all the time, but then we had horses, chainsaws, 4-wheelers, fire pits, livestock drugs in the refrigerator and the odd bottle of whiskey, too, all of which can kill you if you are stupid.

As for guns, they were allowed to touch them, heck shoot them, any time they wanted to they just had to ask. and they did. And they got to.

They learned very young that guns and cars and sex and medicine and axes and knives have their place in God's great economy. But if you shuffle them about, there is a price to pay and you deserve to pay it if you do the shuffling.

posted Hide Post
Wow! Lets all post signs on our homes saying we are defenseless! Lets all ban anything from coming into our home that can be used as or deemed a weapon! Good by kitchen knives, hammers, scissors, rolling pins, golf clubs etc. All one has to do for a gun safe home is to lock up all guns in a safe and TEACH you kids about gun safety and responsibility when they get old enough to understand.

Posts: 41 | Location: PA | Registered: May 06, 2013Report This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of Fly-Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
By Allison Barrett Carter March 15

But let me follow that by saying that I do care what my children are exposed to and I certainly care what happens in my home. My curious children freely play in a home environment I have worked hard to ensure is safe. To that extent, I am adamant about keeping guns outside our doors.

My husband and I decided when our first son came home with us from the safe little hospital where everything was pastel and rubbery that we were going to keep all guns far away from our house. We’ve read the statistics on how many toddlers are killed (or kill others) by accidentally finding loaded guns. Since I am supposed to do everything in my power to keep life-threatening risks to my kids down, I figured keeping guns away from them was a good start.

1) No problem, she has the right to choose not to have guns in her house. Her house, her rules. I don't carry into private homes when I know or believe the owner would not want me to.

2) I hope she has removed buckets, bicycles, baseballs, skateboards, poisons, window blind cords, and numerous other objects from her home, too. Those objects are far more deadly to kids than guns. She sounds ignorant of the facts.

3) Leaving a gun unattended in a diaper bag is a really bad idea. Do concealed carry licensees do this often?

4) She lives in NY state. Is there really any legal ambiguity about being able to eject someone from her home whom she doesn't want there? She seems to think she is on legal thin ice.

5) She is scared of gun owners. She'd have another mom over with a child, or friends in for dinner, but if they are a gun owner she fears they will become belligerent if she asks them to leave and she fears they may use their gun on her. What an insulting moron she is.

There is no law only a minor inconvenience to law abiding citizens, yet simultaneously a major impediment to the criminal element.

Posts: 7885 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: February 25, 2002Report This Post