SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
1996-2016 The Washington Post

By Allison Barrett Carter March 15

Let me be clear: I do not care what adults decide to do in their spare time. If that involves target shooting at the gun range or having a carousing night out at the local bar, I simply don’t care. (I just hope the two activities aren’t combined.)

But let me follow that by saying that I do care what my children are exposed to and I certainly care what happens in my home. My curious children freely play in a home environment I have worked hard to ensure is safe. To that extent, I am adamant about keeping guns outside our doors.

My husband and I decided when our first son came home with us from the safe little hospital where everything was pastel and rubbery that we were going to keep all guns far away from our house. We’ve read the statistics on how many toddlers are killed (or kill others) by accidentally finding loaded guns. Since I am supposed to do everything in my power to keep life-threatening risks to my kids down, I figured keeping guns away from them was a good start.

I am aware that not everyone will agree with me and our decision. Before we start quoting the Second Amendment, I am not writing an “anti-gun” article. Friends and family are completely free to (legally) get their guns, take the appropriate class, and carry their guns with them, at least until such time as the country collectively decides to change any laws.

Just don’t carry the gun into my home.

Surprisingly, despite living in a relatively safe and sheltered suburban community, this has been harder to accomplish than I thought. As of a report from July 2014, the number of Americans with a permit to carry a concealed weapon was a staggering 11.1 million. What are the odds that one day a new friend of ours is going to come for a playdate with a gun (legally) hidden in their diaper bag? With numbers like that, the odds are not in our favor.

Even quite a few of our family members have surprised us by becoming gun hobbyists in the past few years, owning Smith & Wessons they received permits to have on them at all times. Luckily, my husband and I are on the same page and our family members have respected our decision. It has been pleasantly easy (and we deemed it necessary) to have conversations with our kin. But it is not so easy to talk about this with the mommy’s group I invite over for a playdate or the plumber coming to check my toilet.

So, starting at my front door, what rights do I have to keep others from bringing their concealed weapons into my house? Do we start frisking people who want to visit?

There is already a lot of Internet chatter on whether it is okay to ask if there are guns before sending your child to play in someone else’s house. But what we haven’t discussed as a community, what has been affecting my family in a real way, is when visitors bring a concealed gun into our house. They do so legally but sometimes we aren’t even aware until much later, sometimes I fear we are never aware. The horrible situation my mind concocts of children rifling through a bag and discovering a loaded shiny object that I didn’t realize was on my property frightens me.

After a lot of digging into this and asking the bright legal minds I have access to about this issue, what I have realized is that the burden is on me to actively ask visitors not to bring guns into my home, not on a visitor having to ask permission to bring a gun onto my property where my children are. This seems backward.

“Want to come over for some Goldfish crackers and crafts? Please, no guns,” I have to ask. “Come celebrate my son’s 4th Birthday! No presents, please. And no guns, please.” But the visitor does not have to ask, “Is it okay if I bring the licensed gun in my purse into your house?” Legal or not, trained or not, at what point does the carrier of the weapon have to secure my approval before bringing it in?

Since we haven’t collectively addressed this topic, things are admittedly murky. But it seems the law does a great job of protecting Americans who want to have a concealed weapon; it doesn’t seem as concerned with my right to enforce my home as a gun-free zone. It seems as though a permit trumps my decision about my private, personal property where my kids play.

After seeking ways I could make our house rules clear and enforceable, I was hopeful I could simply post a “no weapons allowed” decal on my front door. That would make my intentions clear while simultaneously avoiding awkward situations. It was the ultimate passive way to accomplish what I wanted. But what I have read is that this is not necessarily legally binding and may not even be honored. In fact, during my research, I found many recent articles from gun activist groups advocating that such decals be actively ignored.

Since we haven’t collectively addressed this topic, things are admittedly murky. But it seems the law does a great job of protecting Americans who want to have a concealed weapon; it doesn’t seem as concerned with my right to enforce my home as a gun-free zone. It seems as though a permit trumps my decision about my private, personal property where my kids play.

After seeking ways I could make our house rules clear and enforceable, I was hopeful I could simply post a “no weapons allowed” decal on my front door. That would make my intentions clear while simultaneously avoiding awkward situations. It was the ultimate passive way to accomplish what I wanted. But what I have read is that this is not necessarily legally binding and may not even be honored. In fact, during my research, I found many recent articles from gun activist groups advocating that such decals be actively ignored.

Since my home is my private property, I do have some rights, of course. For example, if I discover that there is a concealed weapon in my home, I am free to threaten the carrier with trespassing charges until they leave. But even that isn’t necessarily guaranteed: it requires me to know they have a gun first of all and there seems to be some confusion about what is legally appropriate if the person still refuses to leave (not to mention they are armed and I am now in an altercation with them).

As more Americans get their concealed carry permits, the best way I can find to navigate this issue is to ask anyone before entering our house if they have a gun on them. If they refuse to leave it in their car, I can refuse them entry. It won’t make me friends and playdates will now be incredibly more awkward to set up, but at least my home can stay gun-free for my kids. It is a big, ugly conversation that seems worth risking.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 39388 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like someone I'd want to visit, regardless of her views on firearms.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34059 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
She sounds like someone Pajama Boy would love. To bad in the looks department she is out of his league.
http://listentoyourmothershow....tt-Carter-resize.jpg

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 23955 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of coma
posted Hide Post
People like that are not welcome in my life, so I would never have to worry about "my gun" in her house. Just like she would be unwelcome at my house or business.

death and taxes....need i say any more

Bersa .380 model 83
M66 .357 S&W
P239 9MM
P229 .40S&W

Posts: 633 | Location: Shelburne, ma, usa | Registered: September 23, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. Notice how she starts out by linking target shooting to drinking at a bar. Next, mention some vague statistics on how many toddlers are killed (or kill others) by accidentally finding loaded guns. The next step is to imply "there is already a lot of Internet chatter on whether it is okay to ask if there are guns before sending your child to play in someone else’s house."

Posts: 1433 | Registered: October 24, 2007Report This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I hope a pack of thugs doesn't decide to invade her shiney happy gun free home. She wouldn't have any means to defend her children's or her wimpy husband's lives.

She has that "I'm the smartest person in the world" idiotic smile.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with the writer, either. But that's her choice to do what she thinks is best for her children, in her own home. It's her decision and her responsibility. It's not illegal. I don't understand the Trump criticism.

Is there anyone who thinks their home is not their castle?

It is until Bernie takes it away and gives it to those "less fortunate"... Razz

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Leatherneck
Picture of Pale Horse
posted Hide Post
Apways carry. Never tell.

While I doubt I'd be friends with a couple of weak idiots like that enough to visit their house, if I did and they asked me if I had a gun I'd follow the above rule.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11711 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Moonbat.

Why bother?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 33955 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
My only sibling is a sister who...shall we say...has different views than myself...as in "how did we come from the same womb"?

I spent the last few weeks travelling back and forth to her house (out of state) while dealing with some family issues. Out of respect for her, I removed my pistol and locked it in the center console of my truck when I went into her home. No real risk of theft, since its rural.

I love her to death...but she is a dingbat.

Posts: 9559 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand the Trump criticism.

Trump criticism? What Trump criticism?

As for her fears, responsible firearms owners secure their guns, particularly if the gun is loaded. Secure can be locked in a safe or cabinet or securely attached to your person.

The flip side is responsible parents teach their children that rummaging through the belongings of others without their express permission is wrong and intolerable.

Moreover, if she isn't teaching this, is she as scared of the prescription and OTC medication, cleaning supplies, heavy and sharp objects in her home or the homes of others
Probably not. After all, guns are not inanimate objects; they are demon possessed.

Nice is overrated

And people wonder why I carry a SIG P320

Death to Terrorists

Posts: 24197 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
"Trump criticism" is when a person criticizes everyone else who doesn't agree with their view of view. Chump, Billary and Barnie have it down to a science. I don't remember Reagan doing it. He was more diplomatic.

I do agree with your response. You can't protect children (or anyone else you silly liberals) from every potential dangerous object, in the home or in life. Parents need to teach them respect and responsibility early so they'll be prepared for what life throws at them.

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
She must have some strong ass toddlers. They are going to be able to tackle me, hold me down, remove my sidearm, and pull a 10 lbs trigger?

I don't want to fuck with her kids...

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 7250 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I think she should place that "No Weapons Allowed" on her front door, it will make her home much safer. I hope she writes an article after the local thugs see the sign and figure easy target. She can wave her sign at them as they plunder her safe little home. Chris

Posts: 1299 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Report This Post
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It's gonna be tough for those nitwits to prevent their precious snowflakes from contact with all the sharp, pointy, hot, hard surfaced dangers in the world. It might make more sense to educate their children about things that can hurt them.

"ya gotta start in the morning if you're gonna drink all day"

Posts: 18865 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
1996-2016 The Washington Post

By Allison Barrett Carter March 15

Let me be clear: I do not care what adults decide to do in their spare time. If that involves target shooting at the gun range or having a carousing night out at the local bar, I simply don’t care. (I just hope the two activities aren’t combined.)

But let me follow that by saying that I do care what my children are exposed to and I certainly care what happens in my home. My curious children freely play in a home environment I have worked hard to ensure is safe. To that extent, I am adamant about keeping guns outside our doors.

My husband and I decided when our first son came home with us from the safe little hospital where everything was pastel and rubbery that we were going to keep all guns far away from our house. We’ve read the statistics on how many toddlers are killed (or kill others) by accidentally finding loaded guns. Since I am supposed to do everything in my power to keep life-threatening risks to my kids down, I figured keeping guns away from them was a good start.

I am aware that not everyone will agree with me and our decision. Before we start quoting the Second Amendment, I am not writing an “anti-gun” article. Friends and family are completely free to (legally) get their guns, take the appropriate class, and carry their guns with them, at least until such time as the country collectively decides to change any laws.

Just don’t carry the gun into my home.

Surprisingly, despite living in a relatively safe and sheltered suburban community, this has been harder to accomplish than I thought. As of a report from July 2014, the number of Americans with a permit to carry a concealed weapon was a staggering 11.1 million. What are the odds that one day a new friend of ours is going to come for a playdate with a gun (legally) hidden in their diaper bag? With numbers like that, the odds are not in our favor.

Even quite a few of our family members have surprised us by becoming gun hobbyists in the past few years, owning Smith & Wessons they received permits to have on them at all times. Luckily, my husband and I are on the same page and our family members have respected our decision. It has been pleasantly easy (and we deemed it necessary) to have conversations with our kin. But it is not so easy to talk about this with the mommy’s group I invite over for a playdate or the plumber coming to check my toilet.

So, starting at my front door, what rights do I have to keep others from bringing their concealed weapons into my house? Do we start frisking people who want to visit?

There is already a lot of Internet chatter on whether it is okay to ask if there are guns before sending your child to play in someone else’s house. But what we haven’t discussed as a community, what has been affecting my family in a real way, is when visitors bring a concealed gun into our house. They do so legally but sometimes we aren’t even aware until much later, sometimes I fear we are never aware. The horrible situation my mind concocts of children rifling through a bag and discovering a loaded shiny object that I didn’t realize was on my property frightens me.

After a lot of digging into this and asking the bright legal minds I have access to about this issue, what I have realized is that the burden is on me to actively ask visitors not to bring guns into my home, not on a visitor having to ask permission to bring a gun onto my property where my children are. This seems backward.

“Want to come over for some Goldfish crackers and crafts? Please, no guns,” I have to ask. “Come celebrate my son’s 4th Birthday! No presents, please. And no guns, please.” But the visitor does not have to ask, “Is it okay if I bring the licensed gun in my purse into your house?” Legal or not, trained or not, at what point does the carrier of the weapon have to secure my approval before bringing it in?

Since my home is my private property, I do have some rights, of course. For example, if I discover that there is a concealed weapon in my home, I am free to threaten the carrier with trespassing charges until they leave. But even that isn’t necessarily guaranteed: it requires me to know they have a gun first of all and there seems to be some confusion about what is legally appropriate if the person still refuses to leave (not to mention they are armed and I am now in an altercation with them).

As more Americans get their concealed carry permits, the best way I can find to navigate this issue is to ask anyone before entering our house if they have a gun on them. If they refuse to leave it in their car, I can refuse them entry. It won’t make me friends and playdates will now be incredibly more awkward to set up, but at least my home can stay gun-free for my kids. It is a big, ugly conversation that seems worth risking.

Link
I doubt if I would be visiting your house any time soon. In this day and age you should be teaching your children what gun safety is all about! I know your kids may be young but I feel that by denying then the knowledge of what guns are all about and they may go behind your back and learn on their own. Some day they may need that knowledge to save their own life or maybe even yours.

Posts: 1520 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Report This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
She is a low-grade wacko propaganda hack. It is already against the law for an unsecured firearm to be available to a child. And the vast vast vast vast majority of gun-owners are going to remain in control of their judgement and piece.

What happens at her house when her relatives visit? "This concealed and secured-on-person loaded Smith and Wesson is getting really heavy. Do you mind if I put it in the 'fridge next to the chocolate milk?"

Effin' BS this is.

"The chief talent and primary defect of the liberal is the ability to ignore the existence of existance." So saith kablammo.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Purchase a lock box and insist the firearm be locked safely in the vehicle, if exists, or be safely locked in your box, much like hanging a guest's coat in a closet near the door. Even law enforcement officers do that in their own homes.
Adherence to firearm safety in this case is expressed,rather than anti or pro firearm beliefs.
"May I take your hat, coat, and firearm please?"

posted Hide Post
My problem, as a firearm enthusiast, is that I never meet anyone else who is a moderate, and willing to find acceptable and appropriate solutions. I see no offer of any solution presented so far.
On edit, I admire the bravery of the original poster for stating the legitimate concern in a pro firearm environment.

Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Moonbat.

Why bother?

Moonbat???

"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."

Posts: 20089 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post