SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Vermont has fallen.....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vermont has fallen..... Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
After being one of the two states with the least restrictive gun control laws in the country, Vermont is now sliding toward Massachusetts and Connecticut.

I think more will follow in time.

Friday the legislature passed S.55 with these provisions. The governor is expected to sign it as early as this week. My local FFL was in chaos!

1. Raises the age to purchase any firearm to 21.
2. Bans "bump stocks".
3. Bans the sale of magazines for rifles that exceed 10 rounds and magazines for pistols that exceed 15 rounds.
4. Back ground checks for all firearms transfers and purchases unless to an immediate family member.

That is the guts of it. Obvious that is a great deal of language around each of the provisions and there are other exceptions, but that's basically it.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was surprised to see that. There are certain advantages to living in the Deep South.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chip
Chip
Chipping
away........... Mad

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Was surprised to see that. There are certain advantages to living in the Deep South.

For now. They keep spreading out though and the younger voters don't give me a lot of hope.

I am worried that with all the movie business coming here, in 20 years GA will be blue.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
When do states and local governments get sued for making unconstitutional law? We need at least one more solid justice on the Supreme Court. Hopefully President Trump will be able to make that appointment soon.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
It's all well and good to say something is unconstitutional or unjust, but, in our system, the only way to mount a challenge is to resort to the court system.

Unfortunately that is a long, arduous and costly process. Very few people have the time and money to pursue it. Unless you can find an organization what will pursue it for you for your purpose of precedent, you really don't have much recourse.

So, legislators can make laws with little or no regard to justice or constitutionality because a challenge isn't very likely in many cases. It is a system of checks and balances that does not favor the "little guy" or even a group of "little guys" as in VT.

Interestingly the governor of VT is a Republican elected last year. He is set to sign the bill. His veto would be the last wall of resistance, but he has indicated he will sign it.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Interestingly the governor of VT is a Republican elected last year. He is set to sign the bill. His veto would be the last wall of resistance, but he has indicated he will sign it.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Yep, doubt he should even bother to run for re-election.

posted Hide Post
We will all be screwed as time goes on. I'm sure Michael Bloomberg and George Soros money is involved. Like Motoboy said; chip, chip, chip away. That's how they do it and before the idiots know it, we are all F***ed! At almost 70 yo, it has been a constant battle all my life with people trying to take away or limit the 2nd amendment. It will never end until this country untimely crumbles.
People of Vermont, throw these bums out.....NOW!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I wonder what might be the logic behind the different mag capacities for rifles and pistols.

I really think the liberals are making this stuff up as they go along. No sense to any of it.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I don't know that the rational was.

I'm thinking it was 10 rounds because they view the rifle as more precise and powerful. Or the 15 round handgun law may have been a compromise to get it passed.

Don't know, that is assuming there was a rational. Since I think it would have been easier just to make it 10 10, there must have been a reason.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Hasn't been signed yet. Govenor hasn't officially received the bills as of April 5. He has five days after receiving them and he wants to schedule a public signing.

Don't know at this point when it will be signed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I wonder what might be the logic behind the different mag capacities for rifles and pistols.

I really think the liberals are making this stuff up as they go along. No sense to any of it.

Hey Sigwolf! Here is another infuriated Vermonter.
My understanding is Congress didn’t want the mag cap to interfere with competition shooting or local manufacturers , so we will be able to buy high cap if we fall under one of the above.
Pistol mags? Who knows.
The only good news is we have until October to stock up!
I contacted Gov Scott twice. The first time I received a generic letter stating Vermonters were passionate on both sides, and we need to keep our kids safe.
This all started with a local kid who was picked up before he could do anything (system worked), and the Florida shooting where cops were involved but the system didn’t s is as I understand it.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So when are we under our obligation to defend our Constitution from these domestic enemies? My opinion is we are about 11.5 years late to that party.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking for logic in gun control law ( former prisoner of New York speaking here) is like hunting for unicorns or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
How could you possibly follow the “logic” that an AR with a ten round mag and pistol grip is an evil death ray, but a conventional stocked Ruger mini14 with a ten round magazine is “ok”

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The governor was bought and paid for. Can't believe they don't even try to hide the corruption anymore. He must have loved the deal cause he will be a one term governor for sure.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Seeing this news this morning that a Republican governor actually signed this abortion has left me infuriated. Simply infuriated. The jerkoff actually said he was doing it for the children. What a clueless imbecile. Enjoy your single term, traitor.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest and greatest news? The kid that planned the Fairhaven VT high school shooting? The Supreme Court agreed that planning a mass shooting is not the same as committing a mass shooting! So it looks like the state will have to release the guy. I tend to agree, jail time is so wrong for something that never happened, but there must be a place to send him where he can get help...
We get new gun laws and restrictions imposed on us, and he goes free? WTF?!!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Iwould happen to you if you put a 15 round magazine into a pistol caliber carbine?

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoveEgg:
What Iwould happen to you if you put a 15 round magazine into a pistol caliber carbine?

The law only bans sale and importation of new mags into the state. If you've already got mags you can use them how ever you please.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post