SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Air rifles in NY state/NYC?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air rifles in NY state/NYC? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I was asked a question to which I don't know the answer.

Are pellet rifles like Sig is selling legal to possess in NYS/NYC?
LINK to sig products

It looks like they will ship to NY, but don't know how that relates to the laws for individuals.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak specifically to NY. That being said keep in mind that discharging an air gun is a local by local ordinance. For example where I live right now it is technically illegal to discharge an air gun / BB gun etc. yet 4 miles up the road perfectly legal.

Now is the SWAT team gonna be dispatched, probably not but the point is air gun laws are very local.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
NY State, sure.

NY City is a whole 'nother planet so probably not for who knows why.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We lived in Jamestown/Lakewood NY. You were not supposed to discharge a pellet or BB gun there.

Hard to believe some of these states were original colonies.

New York-

New York law prohibits any person under the age of sixteen from possessing any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which the propelling force is a spring or air.1 New York has no other law governing non-powder guns.

*29.N.Y. Penal Law § 265.05

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.05 : NY Code – Section 265.05: Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen – It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen to possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges may be used, or any loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous knife; provided that the possession of rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law and used in accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section. A person who violates the provisions of this section shall be adjudged a juvenile delinquent. –

*The exception to this is NYC, as all types of guns including BB guns are illegal in NYC and surrounding boroughs.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
We lived in Jamestown/Lakewood NY. You were not supposed to discharge a pellet or BB gun there.

Hard to believe some of these states were original colonies.

New York-

New York law prohibits any person under the age of sixteen from possessing any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which the propelling force is a spring or air.1 New York has no other law governing non-powder guns.

*29.N.Y. Penal Law § 265.05

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.05 : NY Code – Section 265.05: Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen – It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen to possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges may be used, or any loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous knife; provided that the possession of rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law and used in accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section. A person who violates the provisions of this section shall be adjudged a juvenile delinquent. –

*The exception to this is NYC, as all types of guns including BB guns are illegal in NYC and surrounding boroughs.

Thanks! That was what I thought/expected. GDCs

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
New York City requires a license to possess a BB gun. New York City law requires anyone who possesses or sells an air pistol or air rifle to have a specific license to do so, with the exception of licensed operators of "an amusement" or an authorized pistol range.

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
This stuff is pretty depressing when you think back to how folks learned about guns and safety in the past. It used to be possible for kids to have BB/pellet guns and have fun with them together and walk around without a swat team being called.

I was a den leader and scout master for a number of years. I tried my best to convince the local politicians in NY that gun safety and handling is best taught BELOW 16 years of age.
By the time you are 16 you have lost many years of good habit/muscle memory learning. (I won't say it's too late but in many ways it can be).

What we actually did in the Western NY Boy Scouts was to take the kids into PA (the fine Camp Elk Lick in PA). They could actually get in a canoe and use it and shoot firearms when they should have been learning... This wasn't possible in NY state until they were "older".

There were/are some excellent fellow veterans teaching gun safety, handling and shooting at all of the scout camps, and many thanks to them.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
NYS law section 265.20 lists all the exceptions that allow the legal handling of firearms in NYS. The prohibition agains possession in section 265.05 is what you would be charged with if you were in possession of an air or spring powered gun in an area where possession was illegel. Mearly possessing the air gun is not in and of itself a crime. If the individual in possession of the air gun is at a range or club and is under the supervision of a parent, guardian, instructor, or other authorized indidvidual, or is on property where possession and use of the air gun is legal there is no crime.

Be advised, most of the prosecutions in NYS involving guns happen under ENCON law, not section 265. ENCON law makes any air or spring powered gun with a velocity over 600 FPS a firearm under NYS law, and any crimes comitted as such will be charged as if the individual had a real gunpowder powered firearm.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Can you even point your finger in NY without violating a Bloomberg law?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I was a den leader and scout master for a number of years. I tried my best to convince the local politicians in NY that gun safety and handling is best taught BELOW 16 years of age.

Minimum firearms hunting age in NY is now 14 years old. Minimum for target shooting is 12. Minimum age for shooting handguns is 14, but as long as it's in a formal competition or BSA type training you can shoot handgun up to 21 years old. You can't possess your own handgun until you can get a license at the age of 21.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Pretty tough. I moved out of NY in 2013 right as the guv did his "Safe" Act.

Used to shoot with a number of LEO there.
They had a saying- "If you have to ask if it's illegal in NY state, it probably is"...

posted Hide Post
Screw NY!!!

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hay that's not fare , I remember having a few dame good bowel movements when I grow up there as a kid Smile)))

Posts: 9 | Location: N.H. | Registered: January 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post