SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Shooting a starter pistol

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting a starter pistol Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I live in Houston Texas. Several months ago I bought an old H&R starter pistol that shoots black powder 32's.

I just cleaned it up and wanted to try it out. Is it legal for me to shoot a starter pistol in my backyard?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 5990 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would have to check your local ordinances but I would go with no. Most areas around here your not even allowed to shoot paintball or airsoft guns.

There is no cure for stupidity, you either die from it or with it.

Posts: 4368 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
"Explosive device", blah-blah-lawyerly-detailed words = bad/generally prohibited.
When we lived in Western NY in a small village even slingshots and BB/pellet guns were illegal.

Posts: 1296 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
In our town anything that launches a projectile is illegal to operate in city limits. I guess that would include spitballs.

Posts: 5269 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I just cleaned it up and wanted to try it out. Is it legal for me to shoot a starter pistol in my backyard?

Maybe you can go to a running track with it, take a starting stance, fire it off and do a lap around the track? Wink Wink Wink

Like others said, check your local ordinances.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My answer is, "yes."

However, to be legal, (Big Grin); load each cylinder and just before the first trigger pull you must scream, "no, no, no, don't do it." Then pull the starter gun trigger three times .

Then; scream, "don't, not again, please" and expend the remaining two blanks.

Pop a beer, light a seeegar and enjoy the next couple hours.

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nation’s Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019

Posts: 11736 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post