SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    'We are very close to getting Open Carry passed in Florida!'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'We are very close to getting Open Carry passed in Florida!' Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
"Senator Greg Steube, the new FL Judiciary Chairman, has filed a bill to legalize Open Carry in Florida (SB140) for the 2017 Legislative Cycle.

Florida Citizens’ Alliance believes very strongly that you have the God-given right to protect your life and your families’ lives. You may only have seconds to draw your firearm when confronted by criminal or terrorist who wishes to do you and your family harm. If Florida becomes an “open carry” state, you will not have to waste precious seconds drawing your firearm from a concealed location.

There are 9 members on the Judiciary Committee, 5 Republicans and 4 Democrats. Republican Senators Rene Garcia and Anitere Flores have not yet agreed to support this bill."

http://floridacitizensalliance...-support-open-carry/ <------------------There is a form for Florida residents to conveniently send an e-message to these key legislators. Please take a few moments and support this effort.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Working on Constitutional carry here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
As a frequent, armed visitor to your fine state, I'd be happy enough to simply not have to be concerned about a stiff breeze blowing back my cover garment and occasionally exposing my weapon.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
As a frequent, armed visitor to your fine state, I'd be happy enough to simply not have to be concerned about a stiff breeze blowing back my cover garment and occasionally exposing my weapon.

-Rob

In Florida, a stiff breeze blowing back your cover garment and occasionally exposing your weapon is not a crime. Incidental exposure is covered in FL790.053(1).

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a bit premature - the Florida legislature doesn't go into session until March 7, 2017.

I would agree that if anyone is a Florida resident please send support of the bill to your local representative.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would I want anyone to know I was armed? Besides freaking out those around me I fail to see the need. Also in Florida it is not legal to brandish and heard that if your concealed weapon shows that could be construed as brandishing. Could be wrong there.

Posts: 30 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbluefish:
Why would I want anyone to know I was armed? Besides freaking out those around me I fail to see the need. Also in Florida it is not legal to brandish and heard that if your concealed weapon shows that could be construed as brandishing. Could be wrong there.

Because maybe some people want to open carry? Just because you see no need for it, doesn't mean it ought to stay illegal.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
IMHO although I would not want to carry openly I believe it would make more people aware that there are armed citizens around them and less apt to have a problem with it. Bad guys would also be aware and less apt to commit a crime knowing that they might be confronted with an armed citizen. In the area of Florida where I live you would be surprised to know the number of people who are armed. I would venture to say that Texas hasn't got a thing on us.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Rob
That's not a problem. Not too long ago, Open Carry was defeated, but the type of accidental exposure that you are talking about was made OK by law. Maybe two years? I'm not exactly sure about the timing but I'm in the ball park. Things like reaching for a high shelf in a store, which might make an untucked shirt ride up, or the wind blowing your jacket open, etc. are now OK here in Florida. Accidental exposure is not illegal, deliberate showing of your "concealed" handgun is still a no-no.

Somebody I know, not to be named here, was at a walk-up ATM. Three young adult males encroached on his comfort zone. He asked them to please step back and give him some room, they gave him the "no hablo" response. While reaching into his pocket for his wallet he "accidentally" exposed his P228. The three, who had every appearance of being gang-bangers (although we are told that we should not judge by appearance) very quickly decided to go someplace else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30642 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Rob
Funny, true story:

Several years ago, some of us flew to North Carolina to accept Jeff Yarchin’s hospitality at an Open House — eat, shoot, schmooze with NC folks, etc.

On the way back, we landed in the FL panhandle to drop The Monkey off, waited there while a really vicious weather front passed through, then continued south toward home base.

We were behind the worst of the bad weather, but were catching up to it, so we decided to stop for breakfast at the Ocala airport. On board with me were DrDan and another pilot who was a cop, actually attached to the Sheriff department aviation unit. One cop on board.

We taxied to a parking spot in front of the airport restaurant, where a line guy (“ramp rat”) came out to chock the wheels. I was first out of the V-Tail and as I stepped out of the cabin onto the wing, a gust of wind blew my shirt back and exposed my P228.

Line guy looked and asked, “Are you guys Law Enforcement?”

I answered truthfully, “Not all of us.”

He advised us to button our shirts, so as not to cause the girls at the desk inside to freak out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30642 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I bet if it passes, it will be just like it has been here in Texas. I still have yet to see a single person open carry since it has passed. I choose not to open carry, but I am glad the law was passed. I have also been to many states with open carry and never seen anyone carry openly. I think it is more the principle of the matter.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post