SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    what can you carry for protection while traveling?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what can you carry for protection while traveling? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wasp and hornet spray 30 feet of pure hell to the person who takes a face full. They have to seek medical attention. Easy to explain too "I happened to have it in the car and grabbed for it in desperation"

Posts: 460 | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Travel with a retired LEO (fed licensed to carry) Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Pepper is a travelers friend.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Pepper is a travelers friend.

Except you can't take it on a plane in your checked bag unless there's a safety mechanism:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec...ing/prohibited-items

Self Defense Sprays

One 4 fl. oz. (118 ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self-defense sprays containing more than 2 percent by mass of tear gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in checked baggage. For more information, visit faa.gov

I've checked these, TSA did not say anything but I had the reg in hard copy just in case. Mine has a clip (for jogging) and a "safety mechanism" not shown in the photo.
https://shop.foxlabs.com/colle...atter-stream-pattern

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Pocket knife and a flashlight go with me everywhere.

If I am traveling to gun friendly areas I knkw well, I'll bring carry gear. But more often that not, I'm flying, and I'm going to areas I'm unfamiliar with. If I take the metro from the hotel and run into a no guns sign, it's not like I can stash it on the train...

Patchwork laws can make travel with a firearm a real PITA, to the point that I've found it legally safer to rely on SA skills and universally legal defensive tools.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinooch:
Wasp and hornet spray 30 feet of pure hell to the person who takes a face full. They have to seek medical attention. Easy to explain too "I happened to have it in the car and grabbed for it in desperation"

Bad idea.
http://articles.extension.org/...ute-for-pepper-spray

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry whatever I want assuming the state I'm in honors my ccw. Otherwise I carry as per federal Firearms law making sure that I don't stop in their state. I can't imagine trying to maneuver even a short barrel shotgun in a car. But then I'm not as young as I used to be.

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBP:
No, in New Jersey and a few other states, the penalties for having a handgun with you in a car, is almost as bad as murdering someone!

Or worse.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
This web site will answer your question:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Depending on where I am going and the route I take, I can carry as though I was home.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a walking cane with you, it is a medical device and can go with you on an airplane or the court house. check out "cane masters" with a little practice a cane is a pretty damn good tool.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Another good one is a towel and a padlock. Both are legal everywhere. Tie the lock to the end of the towel, makes a great weapon.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm singing in the rain.

https://unbreakableumbrella.com

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
what can you carry for protection while traveling?

Anything I want. States that don't like what I carry will never see my pretty face.
I wouldn't want to accidently spend a nickel in them and support their BS.

I agree. We go out of our way to avoid states we can't carry in, and we don't spend money in their restaurants, gas stations, hotels, or other places in those states. Just say "no."

B.

Posts: 7 | Location: North East | Registered: September 07, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, to be a smart aleck, I carry a pistol. But, I have a LEOSA permit,valid everywhere in the USA. I'm still hinked when I travel to NJ. Those people are crazy.

Seriously, I don't carry aerosols, because I don't check bags unless I'm going out of the US. I carry Surefire Defenders when I don't bring a pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dresden,

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post